Bought my first magic cards, looking for build tips/recommendations

{"ops":[{"insert":"For years I've had an interest in getting into magic, I always found the art and themes beautiful and despite me knowing nothing about the game it seemed really interesting. I was told recently that it plays similarly to more advanced GWENT which really caught my eye. So I downloaded MTG Arena, played the tutorial and was hooked! I went to the store for some sets of Phrexia All will be One....perhaps too many LOL but I am very happy so far!\n\nI love the theme and art of the cards, they really remind me of Alien Xenomorphs and the Hive from Destiny (I'm not sure if this a common comparison or not lol), but am really wanting to try and create a feasible build with a Phyrexian/Corrupted monster vibe. Which is where my knowledge ends... I have no clue what's good use or not, how to build a deck or determine what's good or not.\n\nI'm hoping to go with a Black/Green deck OR a Black/Green/White deck focused on toxic counters, giant beasts/monsters, and DPS. I plan on experimenting with all formats (commander, standard, etc) to find what I like, but I'm mainly thinking about card pairings and recommendations.\nI uploaded my full deck and was wondering if I could get some potential advice/assistance with putting a deck together, and your overall thoughts on the cards I have gotten so far. Also if there are any cards that I don't have that you think would be good upgrades/additions please let me know, I'd be open to purchasing singles.\n\nhttps://archidekt.com/decks/4050297#Entire_Collection\n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 14 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Welcome to the game. I won't speak for Standard, as I don't have anything positive to say about it. Commander is the only constructed format I care for. Limited formats are also amazing and I encourage you to try them. \n\nIt looks like you have the Corrupting Influence precon. I recommend you sleeve it and play it several times without modification. Get some reps to learn the lines of play. Fair warning, you'll probably run into players who get salty about poison counters. Poison does not scale well to Commander and there are a lot of players who think the Poison count should be doubled like starting life totals. \n\nThere are basically three approaches to winning with poison. Aggro with poison tries to hit one player for 10 in a single combat step. Some infamous cards for this are "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Tainted Strike"}},{"insert":" "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Triumph of the Hordes"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Blightsteel Colossus"}},{"insert":" . Poison can also be played as a control strategy. I have a "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/1932156"},"insert":"Tetsuko"},{"insert":" deck that wins by sneaking a poison counter on each player with small, evasive creatures, then proliferating the poison counters. The deck has a lot of control pieces to slow other players down because it usually takes 7 turns or more to proliferate everyone to 10 poison. Even at that pace players will still grumble an groan about poison. It is possible to combo to infinitely proliferate poison counters, which will also inevitably trigger some players who get salty about poison, combo or both. \n\nDon't be discouraged by poison's controversial status in the community. Be honest about what your deck does and other players should tell you up front if they want to play that game or not. If you have a good pregame conversation you can find ways for everyone at the table to have a positive experience. \n"}]}