Cosima Deck build

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here. I usually build Vorthos-y decks that are built around flavor, but since my playgroup's level has been steadily creeping up, I thought I'd build a deck that's around a 7 or 8 power level as opposed to the 4s I usually make. I've already built "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Toralf, God of Fury // Toralf's Hammer"}},{"insert":" , which was pretty straightforward. But I also want to build a "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Cosima, God of the Voyage // The Omenkeel"}},{"insert":" deck because I think her ability is so cool. I'd like some feedback before I make any significant purchases for it. Any advice?\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://www.archidekt.com/decks/1173504#Immigrant_Song"},"insert":"https://www.archidekt.com/decks/1173504#Immigrant_Song"},{"insert":"\n\nIt's a pretty cut and dry Cosima deck with some snow shenanigans sprinkled in. I didn't use any vehicles because they took too much space in the deck and I don't want The Omenkeel to be on the field for more than a few turns anyway.\n"}]}
Edited 2/23/2021, 1:16:32 PM
Endlessor avatarEndlessor 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Damn, I took almost an hour to reply to your post and then clicked to post my reply and the page turned white, I refreshed and was logged out and my reply is lost in the void of the multiverse. I will see in the upcoming days, if I have time will come back and try to resume the content of my first post.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Darn, that's a bummer. Well, thank you for the effort regardless. I look forward to possibly seeing your post in the future, but if not I totally understand. \n"}]}
Endlessor avatarEndlessor 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"HI, I took the time to look and think about your deck. I have some comments about your built and also a couple suggestions. \nFirst, your build. I see that you have built her like a Voltron commander. The thing I find is by focusing too much on Cosima, you may end up with a deck that don't do much if she is not in play. Let say you cast her on turn 3 (which mean you are tapped and may have a way to protect her). You need to wait at the beginning of your next turn to exile her. In the meantime, she can be counterspelled, wrathed, exile, bounce, stole, Imprisonned in the moon. And if she is not, on turn 4 you put her in exile, play bunch of lands and then you may have her returned with bunch of counters and draw cards, but she can't attack on that turn and again chance are that she may no longer be on the field at your next turn. What your deck do if for some reason you struggle to have and keep her on the field? You have cards in your deck like The Ozolith and Herald of Secret Streams that to me appears to be there almost solely for Cosima since you have very few other cards that cares about +1/+1 counters. Another thing is it seems to me that 34 lands is low for a deck that cares about land drops. You may have cards that bounce lands to your hand, but if you don't have enough cards (I think I saw 2) that lets you put more than 1 land on the field per turn, then you may end up behind with the number of lands you have in play. Also at 34, and with the ramps cards you have, as the game progress, you are decreasing the odds of drawing lands. If you are at 4 lands, don't have a land in hand, bounce a land, and put it on the field... you are still at 4 lands. That said, I haven't seen your deck played. My comments are based on what it looks like when looking at your build on Archidekt. \n\nSecond, my suggestions... You may consider the card Sphynx of the Second Sun. It is a 8 drop tho. As for the build, I would personnally build her as a deck where she is the gravy on top and ensure that my deck is doing well even if I don't cast her. What I would do is having a +1/+1 counter theme, add some proliferate, add the best blue Landfall cards. I think this may ensure more synergies and less dead cards (If you have Herald of Secret Streams on the field and no creatures with +1/+1, to me this is a dead card because its ability is not exploited). To make place for this, I would drop the snow theme. You could cut also on some flickers and bounce lands.\n\nFinally, I don't see Cosima as being a commander that can easily be built as a 7-8 power deck (unless you go with already established mono blue decks with combos, empty your library, etc.). But 7-8 power is relative and this scale in your playgroup can be much different than in my playgroup. If you find her cool for her flavor, maybe you could stick to a Vorthos build and make her with cards that refers to Voyage, like Expedition Map, Treasure Cruise, Chart a Course, Conqueror's Galleon, Voyage's End, etc. And for that more powerful deck maybe look out for a multicolor commander which tends to allow for more flexibility and bigger card pool options. But, that said, it does not mean that Cosima can't be build strong. I haven't look at EDHrec or any other source of info before commenting your build.\n\nLet me know if my comments were constructive or not. If ever you make changes to your current build and would want that I check it out do not hesitate to reach.\n\nHave a nice weekend!\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Thank you for the kind advice! I did end up adding a few other +1 +1 counter creatures like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Toothy, Imaginary Friend"}},{"insert":" , "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Chasm Skulker"}},{"insert":" , and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Thought Sponge"}},{"insert":", but as it turns out there isn't many of them worth playing. I was seriously considering weather to choose "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Novijen Sages"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Rimefeather Owl"}},{"insert":", and I ended up with the owl. Unfortunately, for landfall I found there's not many good options besides "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Roil Elemental"}},{"insert":" (and maybe the various milling crabs but I feel like they would be more of a value engine for the opponent than I'd want) but remembering Roil elemental exists is a big win anyway. I also added "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Trinket Mage"}},{"insert":" so I have a better chance of comboing out with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Amulet of Vigor"}},{"insert":". I looked at "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sphinx of the Second Sun"}},{"insert":" , and I get where you're going with that, but being 8 mana makes it pretty prohibitive. I think I'll stick with my flicker effects to flip the boat on my opponent's end step.\n"}]}
dr-santosis avatardr-santosis 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Fun looking deck! Given all the ETB shenanigans, I wonder if "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Conjurer's Closet"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Strionic Resonator"}},{"insert":" might be better than a one shot like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Ghostly Flicker"}},{"insert":"? I did a Reap the Tides budget rebuild that uses those and they are great with any ETB build. I'd love a "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Cloudstone Curio"}},{"insert":", but the price is out of my comfort zone. Closet and Resonator give some semblance of a Curio at about 1/10th the price. \n\nGiven Cosima's ability, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Turbulent Dreams"}},{"insert":" feels like a potential win con?\n\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Familiar's Ruse"}},{"insert":" feels like it has a home here. Maybe with an "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Archaeomancer"}},{"insert":"? \n\nIn terms of some cheap mono-blue defense, I've been experimenting with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Dissipation Field"}},{"insert":". It comes with draw backs and it probably meta dependent. I also really like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Capsize"}},{"insert":" in mono-blue. In terms of defending your commander, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Neurok Stealthsuit"}},{"insert":" works great in mono-blue (it is better than Whispersilk if you don't plan on attacking with your commander). \n\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Thawing Glaciers"}},{"insert":" is bonkers, especially with Amulet of Vigor in play. There's some on TCG for $6-7 (non-tournament legal promos). \n"}]}
Edited 3/6/2021, 5:49:49 PM