A technichal question involving Atog, Whispersilk Cloak, Unblockabe, and Declaring Blockers

{"ops":[{"insert":"OK, so heres the situation. I have attached a whispersilk cloak to an atog. I declare the atog as attacking. My opponent declares no blockers, because it is unblockable. \nCan I sac the whispersilk cloak with Atog's ability in response? Does this give atog +2/+2 and wil my opponent take the extra damage??\n"}]}
Zaxym avatarZaxym 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Yes, unblockable effects are only relevant at the moment blockers are declared. Once blockers have been declared the active player (you) gets priority and you can eat the Cloak for extra damage. Since Atog was unblockable when it mattered no blockers were declared for it and it will make it through to your opponent regardless of whether or not it still has the Cloak.\n\nI should note, because it's relevant for rules sticklers and formal play, that you have to eat the Cloak "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"during "},{"insert":"the declare blockers step. Once it moves to the combat damage step you won't have priority again until after damage has been assigned and eating the Cloak at that point is a waste.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"So if my oppenent says he will block with something, and then I say Ill eat the cloak, does it deal extra combat damage (to the creature)? Also I like calling it eat thanks for that.\n"}]}
Zaxym avatarZaxym 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Well when it comes to the Cloak s"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"pecifically"},{"insert":" if it's equipped to the Atog then your opponent "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"can't"},{"insert":" assign a blocker to it. If it was a different equipment that didn't grant unblockable then yes, you could eat it after blockers are declared and have that extra power when damage is assigned.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Gotcha, okay. Thanks so much for your help, I'm gonna have alot of fun with that combo! I just need to find an equipable pant card, so that Atog can E A T P A N T.\n\n"}]}