[EDH] Kykar, Wind's Fury, Jeskai Combo Deck Tech

bugz_the_cat avatarbugz_the_cat 4 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"War rages on the plane of Tarkir. The clans fight for their Khans, to prove their superiority. Such rage fuels the wizard as he channels the spirits of mystical planes untouched. With each spell, Kykar channels his bloodfire, ready to take down those who dare stop him, with each spell powering the next. Once his fury has started, it carries with the win to destinations unknown and unlimited.\n\n---\n\nWriting a cute little lore tidbit is difficult with a character who only has his card that talks about him. How "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":" came about was the fact that I accidentally washed my "},{"insert":{"card-link":"The Locust God"}},{"insert":" deck in the washing machine. Long story short, I am quite small so I can easily put my deck boxes in the pockets of my sweatshirts without any issue or really feeling them. At some point, I dropped the sweatshirt into my hamper and wash the deck. Unsure of when I was going to rebuild it, within a month or two, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":" got spoiled and I instantly thought he was a better "},{"insert":{"card-link":"The Locust God"}},{"insert":" and built him within a weekend and proxied the deck up. While I wanted this to be posted last week so I could have a schedule for writing up articles, I had a few more tweaks I wanted to get done before settling on his list and one more weekend at the game store helped me figure it out. With his list finalized, I'm ready to give a little rundown on how to play him, or at least how I have chosen to play him. He fits closer to a 75% deck and is less casual than my pet deck, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier"}},{"insert":". This deck can easily be tuned up to a competitive deck, possibly a tier 2-3 cEDH deck. I'm not going to pretend to know the format of cEDH, so I will stick with this 75% deck that I have made.\n\nThe goal is to abuse his cast trigger for each on-creature spell that is cast. Because of that, this deck only runs about 4 creatures, not including the commander and enchantments that can become creatures. And that was where a lot of cuts came from. Cards like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Murmuring Mystic"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Young Pyromancer"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Monastery Mentor"}},{"insert":" and the like were in the deck original and got cut for a larger spell package and a counter package. The issue with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Murmuring Mystic"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Young Pyromancer"}},{"insert":" is the fact that they only trigger off of instances and sorceries, which make up 36 cards in the deck, but why focus on 36, when there could be cuts for more instants and sorceries. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Monastery Mentor"}},{"insert":" was cut despite being any non-creature spell due to the deck not having a lot of white in the list.\n\nAlthough, the important aspect of "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":" is his access to white. While the deck is mainly splashing white, key removal spells are in white that help secure the boardstate. Typically, the deck will run out "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":" without a second thought, but if need be, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":" slides into the draw/go control strategy with ease and the white helps with access to "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Swords to Plowshares"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Path to Exile"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fumigate"}},{"insert":". The reason I've chosen "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fumigate"}},{"insert":" over"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Wrath of God"}},{"insert":" is because of the upside of killing my own spirit tokens to gain life. It allows the deck to be ahead of the other players when the wrath goes off. The other reason white is very important for the deck will come in the combo section, and I think that's enough of a spoiler in and of itself. Sticking with removal, I have the three creature removal spells that should always be in blue decks: "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Rapid Hybridization"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Pongify"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Reality Shift"}},{"insert":". Another set auto includes in terms of removal with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Cyclonic Rift"}},{"insert":". and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Blasphemous Act"}},{"insert":" There isn't much to comment with them. Standard Izzet removal package. A hard thing for this deck to deal with is planeswalkers, enchantments and artifacts. Sometimes the deck needs to get rid of some problem indestructible permanents as well and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Imprisoned in the Moon"}},{"insert":" turning the card into a Waste in space, is a pet removal card for me when it comes to blue.\n\nThe ramp package in this deck was designed with a low curve in mind. With "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":" on the field, rocks that cost two or less effectively cost one or are free. The package runs "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sol Ring"}},{"insert":" as the only one drop in the list. The two drop mana rocks are the signet cycle within "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":"'s colors ("},{"insert":{"card-link":"Azorius Signet"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Boros Signet"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Izzet Signet"}},{"insert":") and the talisman cycle within the colors ("},{"insert":{"card-link":"Talisman of Conviction"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Talisman of Creativity"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Talisman of Progress"}},{"insert":"). The only rock within the deck that is not converted mana cost one or two is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Chromatic Lantern"}},{"insert":". The reason for this is because during the major combo/storm turn, the deck needs access to all colors and it helps to hit the colors.\n\nCounterspells I feel are a personal preference kind of package. For me, I prefer those that are mana efficient and hard counters. I would much rather spend three mana on a hard counter, than hold a two mana counterspell waiting for the spell that it can target to be cast. But, with the need to keep this deck's average converted mana cost pretty low, I have two exceptions to my usual rule: "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Negate"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Dovin's Veto"}},{"insert":". "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Negate"}},{"insert":" is here to be a two mana counterspell and it is within my budget for this deck. This deck is already pretty expensive given the land base, so "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Negate"}},{"insert":" will just have to do. A new favorite counter is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Dovin's Veto"}},{"insert":". While it is not a hard counter and only tackles non-creature spells, the fact that itself is cannot be countered is worth its place in most Blue/White/X decks. The rest of the package is hard counterspells. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Counterspell"}},{"insert":" is an obvious inclusion and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Narset's Reversal"}},{"insert":" is a better "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Remand"}},{"insert":". My personal favorite counterspell is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Dissolve"}},{"insert":". I have no reason for liking it. I am a bit of a sucker for the scry mechanic and the artwork on both the pack card and the promo are beautiful. I make excuses to run this card in blue decks despite there being much better counterspells that exist. To help with problem abilities "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Disallow"}},{"insert":" is a fantastic inclusion. Being a hard counter makes it just icing on the cake and worth the extra two mana compared to "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Stifle"}},{"insert":" in my opinion. Some cool, and underplayed, counterspells I have included "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Absorb"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Ionize"}},{"insert":". The life gain and damaged don't matter too much. But they are a step above the "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Cancel"}},{"insert":" style hard counters for three. \n\nTo continue on with the simple stuff of the deck, there is a little support package. These cards do not run away with the game, but they help to stabilize or draw into spells that are needed. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Skullclamp"}},{"insert":" believe it or not doesn't do a whole lot in this deck, but it will help the deck draw into some win conditions. The same is true for "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Elsha of the Infinite"}},{"insert":". She is very good and can easily slot into the commander slot if "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":" isn't working out for you without changing any of the core of the deck, but the card draw and flash makes the card very good. But again, she is mainly here to help draw into some win conditions. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Teferi, Time Raveler"}},{"insert":" is here to help protect our board from disruptions during our combo turn. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Elixir of Immortality"}},{"insert":" works as an emergency button in case our combos do not work and we need to reset our deck.\n\nThis deck needs to dig and dig as quickly as it can as soon as possible. Because of that, all the card draw spells in here that are not combo pieces cost two or less or are basically free. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Frantic Search"}},{"insert":" is the only card that does not effectively cost two or less, but it will pay for itself. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Treasure Cruise"}},{"insert":", while not a one drop spell, will be one consistently each game. I have yet to cast it for its full cost. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Gitaxian Probe"}},{"insert":" is always free. There has never been a time where I have casted this for one blue mana over paying two life. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Peek"}},{"insert":" is the less good "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Gitaxian Probe"}},{"insert":", but it is a card draw spell that helps to dig and gives a spirit. So, beggars cannot be choosers in this case. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Opt"}},{"insert":" is much better. The scry ability allows the deck to basically dig two cards deep for combo pieces. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Faithless Looting"}},{"insert":" allows the deck to dig two cards deep and be flashed back to dig again. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Brainstorm"}},{"insert":" lets the deck go further with three cards, and with the fetchlands that are in this deck, shuffling unwanted cards is extremely easy. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Ponder"}},{"insert":" allows this to happen as well. Look at the top three and shuffle anything that isn't important to winning away. Opposites of each other, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Serum Visions"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Preordain"}},{"insert":" help to dig with their cry and draw abilities. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Telling Time"}},{"insert":" is an interesting spell as it not only lets us look at three cards, but decide the next draw, push a card that isn't needed and bring a card into hand that is useful."},{"insert":{"card-link":"Cathartic Reunion"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Tormenting Voice"}},{"insert":" allows us to trade in cards that are not needed or wanted to find pieces for the deck. \n\nThe main combo within the deck, while it does not win outright, it results in effectively infinite mana. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Saheeli, Sublime Artificer"}},{"insert":" functions just like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":" and with both on the battlefield with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Anointed Procession"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Phyrexian Altar"}},{"insert":", since the majority of the spells in the deck are converted mana cost three or less, there is a guarantee that each non-creature spell will net one mana of any color since the spirit or the servo can be popped for whatever color that is needed. The reason why we want so much mana is for "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Past in Flames"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Finale of Promise"}},{"insert":". "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Past in Flames"}},{"insert":" will allow us to cast all the cheap instants and sorceries from the graveyard and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Finale of Promise"}},{"insert":" will allow for this to happen, but for free doubled twice (cast the spell three times) if ten mana is pumped into the X of its cost. With all these instants and sorceries played, and other non-creature spells in some cases, the tokens hitting the field be four. With "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Purphoros, God of the Forge"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Impact Tremors"}},{"insert":" each spell would be dealing at least four damage and at most eight. Adding in "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Guttersnipe"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Ral, Storm Conduit"}},{"insert":" and"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Niv-Mizzet, Parun"}},{"insert":" the minimum for instants and sorceries, assuming there is no card draw with those cards, would beeight and the maximum up to sixteen. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Aria of Flame"}},{"insert":"'s 'each opponent gains ten life' clause does not matter when the deck is going off. Once five instants or sorceries are cast, the life that is gain is negated, and that is easy to do when the deck is starting to go off. A lot of extra mana means so many possibilities. A fun way to blow out all three opponents at once is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Jaya's Immolating Inferno"}},{"insert":". I cannot recommend this card enough. I have won so many games with this card in both decks I have it in and it has never failed to disappoint me, even when it is an over-glorified removal spell. A core win condition within the deck is is using "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Pull from Tomorrow"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Expansion // Explosion"}},{"insert":", or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Blue Sun's Zenith"}},{"insert":" to draw out the entire deck and win with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Laboratory Maniac"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Jace, Wielder of Mysteries"}},{"insert":". If all else fails, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Nexus of Fate"}},{"insert":" is here to seal the deal with infinite turns, infinite servos and infinite spirits to close the game out completely.\n\nWhile I said that I would not cover lands, these are very important. While play testing the deck, I noticed that the deck lost when it drew a lot of lands. Because of this fact, all on color fetch lands have been included in teh list to help thin out the deck. That and they provide a way to shuffle if need be with all the scrying and stacking that is involved. These are:"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Evolving Wilds"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Terramorphic Expanse"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Scalding Tarn"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Misty Rainforest"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Wooded Foothills"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Marsh Flats"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Arid Mesa"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Flooded Strand"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Bloodstained Mire"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Polluted Delta"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Windswept Heath"}},{"insert":". Thinning the deck is essential to finding the win conditions as soon as possible and to eliminate the chances of having dead draws with lands in the late game. In theory, with all the thnning and card draw, there should not be a lot of dead draws given the deck list.\n\n---\n\nThe second deck tech. I wanted to get this out sooner, but I didn't have a lot of time to play test this since I had classes start. My goal is to do this at the end of each month when I have time to power through. Again, I do not want to cover lands other than the ones that were present. It's a personal preference kinda deal. Like as an example, I cannot stand the bounce land cycle, but other players swear by it while I include to temple cycle in each deck because I love the scry mechanic. Feel free to comment and give critiques. The full deck list for "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kykar, Wind's Fury"}},{"insert":" can be found "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/121660#Kykar,_Wind's_Fury-_The_Key_to_Happiness"},"insert":"here"},{"insert":". I am always updating my decks when a new set comes out, so this might eventually become outdated. Though, the link will always be updated to whatever the current list is. I only update as I get cards so I do not confuse myself.\n"}]}
Edited 4/23/2020, 9:10:36 PM