[Search/Builder] Option to add cheapest version of card

silverkid103 avatarsilverkid103 2 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Would love to have an option when searching for a card to add the cheapest version based on the price source for that deck!\n"}]}
Jeremy avatarJeremy 2 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"So this is something that's unfortunately a little more complicated than one would think. Essentially, we do a card search, anything that involves pulling data from somewhere other than our card database greatly slows down the search. So, for instance, since card prices are not a static characteristic (i.e. they go up and down), we'd need to be constantly checking Card Kingdom, TCGPlayer or wherever you get your price data from as we're doing the card search. Users would notice the site feeling significantly more sluggish, which is definitely something we don't want to do.\n\nThe way we've sorta skirted around this is by trying to make our search parameters check what information is static in our database to try and guess what the cheapest card is going to be. In short, we attempt to pull up the most recent edition of a card that doesn't have some sort of special treatment (i.e. masterpieces, promos, etched foils, etc.). Unfortunately, as Wizards has printed more and more odd stuff, it's become increasingly difficult to set those parameters to cover everything. For instance, right now "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sol Ring"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Command Tower"}},{"insert":" default to the Black Spellbook versions since we don't have a good way yet of telling the search that we don't want those as the default edition. It's... frustrating. \n\nThat all said, we've recently had a discussion about how we could potentially get closer to the cheaper versions of cards. The limitations would be that we would have to choose one vendor to pull that data from and it would only be done once per day. For most users, it would appear to work seamlessly, but there could definitely be some hiccups if prices varied wildly between sources. If we decide it's still worth considering despite its limitations, I'll add it to the Feature Voting subforum.\n\nSorry for the long-winded answer. I appreciate you reaching out with the suggestion! \n"}]}
silverkid103 avatarsilverkid103 2 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the thought out reply, really appreciate it! I wonder, if performance is the concern, if it could just a be a button that goes through your deck and finds the cheapest version of each card? Then if it takes 30 seconds to do it's thing it's not a huge deal and it's not ruining the day-to-day experience.\n"}]}
Jeremy avatarJeremy 2 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"I've just dropped a thread for this into our Feature Voting subforum. It explains some of the limitations we're looking at, but please express your interest there if you'd like us to make it a priority in development!\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/forum/thread/2368454/1"},"insert":"https://archidekt.com/forum/thread/2368454/1"},{"insert":"\n"}]}