[Builder] Custom cards

Jeremy avatarJeremy 2 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Over the years, users occasionally request a way to add custom created cards to their decks. This would be a significant undertaking for us whether we have the UI for creating these cards or just a way to upload them from other sources. We're interested in hearing what form you'd be interested (or not interested!) in seeing custom cards take on Archidekt.\n\nIf this proposed feature is of interest to you, give the thread a thumbs-up and leave your thoughts below! User interest in each feature will help us prioritize in development.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"As someone who is currently working on an alt art/ proxy deck, I can say, just the ability to give a Google drive link or other image host to just plop in as a card slot would go miles. I don't even need the image to load quite yet, but to just track it on archidekt would be wonderful.\n"}]}
kws avatarkws 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Personally, I'm not interested, and I do have custom art proxies for a theme deck I made. My real concerns are\nSeeing homebrewed cards not super obviously appearing as such in the deckviewer."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Getting nsfw, hateful, or borderline-nsfw art popping up in searches, deckpages, etc."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"However"},{"insert":", I get people want the feature and I don't want to yuck anyone's yum, so I'd support the effort as long as certain measures are in place. I know many won't use the custom art for nefarious or nsfw graphics, but because some definitely will...\n\nIf implemented, I would really want toggle switches in my user settings to make sure I can\nIgnore decks with custom (mechanically) cards completely on the site from searches, homepage, community updates, etc. "},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Toggle off custom art for deck images when searching and for all cards when browsing others' decklists."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Maybe there could be an exception option that permits custom art/cards from followed users only in searches and deckpages."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nHere are some challenges I foresee with implementing this feature\nIn addition to the art, custom cards with text that's nsfw, hateful, etc. will probably require incorporating some kind of text search/filter."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"I don't know if this would really be a problem or not but possibly super high resolution images or uncompressed image formats could slow down deckpages. Easy solution I think would be to restrict filesize/format."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"While single images may not include nsfw content, the way archidekt stacks cards in different view settings means people can take advantage of mosaicking to present nsfw graphics piece by piece with custom arts overlayed on eachother."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"You'll have to include a way for users to easily report decks and users abusing this feature to get them taken down, but also have to do it in a way that prevents trolling, anonymous reporting, and report-bombing of decks, like those by popular creators and such."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"For the love of Emrakul: no GIFs or video formats in card art please."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\n"}]}
vNocturnus avatarvNocturnus 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I would love to have access to this feature.\n\nIf you want my 2c from the perspective of both a user and a back-seat software dev, I think there is a possibility of building this in a way that's not extensive in terms of dev effort and would get the feature out to users ASAP, albeit possibly requiring a "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"bit "},{"insert":"more user effort, at least in early stages:\n\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Start by allowing custom cards to be added directly to single a deck in purely text form."},{"insert":" This would shortcut huge image hosting, uploading, and overall UX costs by allowing cards to be quickly added via a simple text-based form with fields for name, type, cost, text box, etc. A generic placeholder image could be used to mark the card in the visual deck builder, and display the text only when viewing details."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Then work on an option to allow users to upload a custom image for a card,"},{"insert":" either for a custom card or possibly as alternate art for a real card. This isn't even strictly necessary, but I'm sure most users would like the possibility of assigning art to their custom cards, in particular."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Eventually work on a way to allow the users' custom cards to be used in broader contexts,"},{"insert":" such as other decks they create or possibly even sharing to the community. This is mostly a QoL and/or community-building feature for people that use a lot of custom cards in their decks and/or want to share full custom sets or custom commanders, etc."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nI'm not sure if any part of Archidekt is open source, but if the builder is, I'd love to help contribute to a public github project/etc for at least step 1 above. I feel like that much alone would allow a vast majority of use cases for custom cards to be realized in some fashion without requiring a heroic amount of dev work.\n"}]}
MadMango69 avatarMadMango69 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"\tI really like this idea, I really want to make a deck using my own art to play with online, But I understand how it could be difficult to have people manually filter through peoples deck list.\n\tAnd i have read many comments mentioning a NSFW tag which I think is the most viable option. But instead of thinking of it just like a regular deck tag, like budget, and Elves, why not make a slider on the deck creation page that says if your using a deck with custom art and then make a symbol that shows up on people deck image or something. then you can make the NSFW tag on top of that as well.\n\tThen just to be even more safe just make it so that you can't upload custom art for the deck image, only official art.\nIt isnt a fool proof idea but I think more people would appreciate it than not, thank you for your time.\n"}]}
Mirunog avatarMirunog 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"If it's possible to make custom art for existing cards available that would be excellent. That might be an easy add-on to this or not I don't know.\n"}]}
DeWillpower avatarDeWillpower 2 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"hi, i just noticed archidekt has a forum and that this thread exists. i know it would be hard to add many features and moderate them\nwhat i would like to ask is to add an option for a custom commander card in the commander decks\nin my imagination, i see the option of adding a card in the command slot, so an user would\nclick the button \"Add Custom Card as your commander\";"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"the symbols of the five colors + colorless appear and they are buttons that are to default as grey (yeah, i know the existance for colorless is a nightmare for that);"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"the user selects the color identity of the commander;"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"a very naked template picture appears in the command zone that has the pips of the colors selected that can't leave the command zone and that can't have addiotional tags (sideboard and maybeboard included)."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"after that there could be additional options such as the correct mana value or the name.\n\ni would like this so that the deck doesn't appear in EDHREC and the website would add the \"Rule Zero\" tag to the deck (it can be removed, no reason to add a weird code that makes the tag unremovable)\n"}]}
Gryfn avatarGryfn 21 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"For me, even just a \"fill in some text\" placeholder would be great. The continued improvement to the \"Tokens & Extras\" section (which is awesome) finally has me thinking of managing my tokens here rather than in a spreadsheet, but there are some tokens that WotC never got around to printing...\n"}]}