First deck: From Comics to Cards

McSpicy777 avatarMcSpicy777 21 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"To sum it up, I would love some opinions on this Kaalia deck build:\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/2840805#Kaalia__of_the_Hot-damn"},"insert":"https://archidekt.com/decks/2840805#Kaalia__of_the_Hot-damn"},{"insert":" \nThe strategy is simple: use Kaalia to build a creature base that can fight for itself after a few turns, then use a combination of creature effects, enchantments, and/or sorceries to beat up everything! This keep my use of this deck 1) versatile, with many methods and combinations to win and 2) fun while still being relatively competitive. \n\nThe Story:\nSo I just got into MTG and started playing the game regularly with the Buckle Up precon. A buddy of mine was so thrilled about me getting into the hobby that, after my first win playing commander, he decided to gift me with Kaalia the Vast (told him I would love to play with angels, dragons, and demons). \nAnd so I've set my sights to making my first deck build with Kaalia! To get me started, I traded in an old comic book collection for the more expensive cards on this list. The rest I'm trying to figure/finalize before making anymore purchases. \n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 21 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"The deck looks functional. In my opinion it will be weak against enchantments. Pillow fort and enchantment removal are both problematic for Kaalia, but you only have 2 removal spells that can hit enchantments. That said, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are seeing those strategies in your play group.\n\nI would reconsider any creatures with an attack trigger. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Aurelia, the Warleader"}},{"insert":" "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Backdraft Hellkite"}},{"insert":" "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Drakuseth, Maw of Flames"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Utvara Hellkite"}},{"insert":" don't trigger if Kaalia cheats them into play. It's only four cards, and they are still good in their own right. Their mana costs are still high enough to be worth playing with Kaalia, even if timing rules mean you won't get their triggered abilities right away.\n"}]}