Commander 2020

CC87 avatarCC87 4 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"What are your thoughts on the five new commanders from the 2020 set? \nPersonally, I really like Kathrill. but that is simply the thought of building an Abzan reanimator deck, that isn't Karador. Bit of a shame that it can't give itself Haste, but that would probably break the color pie. \nGavi looks like a ton of fun, I think there are very interesting things that you could do with it, but I'm not sure that there is enough cards with Cycling synergi to make it truly powerful, unless they include something in the deck. I hope it turns out more interesting than Kadena, the Facedown commander from last year.\nJirina makes for a great Human tribal commander, could be really aggressive with a lot of tokens, but I'm not sure if it is that interesting. \nKalamax looks interesting, I like the thought of attacking with him and then casting Return of the Wildspeaker, giving all my creatures +3/+3, and the drawing 8 cards for Kalamax. \nOtrimi is a bit hard to evaluate, since we don't know a lot about Mutate yet, but could be very powerful. \nWhat are your thoughts? Any nice card interactions that comes to mind? \n\n"},{"insert":{"image":"http://www.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Otrimi-the-Ever-Playful-214x302.jpg?x96163"}},{"insert":{"image":"http://www.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Kalamax-the-Stormsire-216x298.jpg?x96163"}},{"insert":{"image":"http://www.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Jirina-Kudro-214x302.jpg?x96163"}},{"insert":{"image":"http://www.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Gavi-Nest-Warden-216x302.jpg?x96163"}},{"insert":{"image":"http://www.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Kathril-Aspect-Warper1-213x302.jpg?x96163"}},{"insert":"\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"After sandboxing 30 cards into a generic Abzan list, I found that what I love about those colors is also why I'll stay away from them: they do everything! People talk about Sultai being powerful, but in Abzan I could find 7 cards that destroy or exile "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"anything"},{"insert":", for under 4cmc. They also have the strongest recursion, in addition to their component ramp, stax, haymakers and tutors. So all that to say, while their new commanders look interesting, I'm just not excited to try them right now.\n\nJeskai and Mardu got a really big bump this release, and Temur's new toys just look fun!\n\nMardu"},{"attributes":{"header":3},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"All of the Drannith humans help make for a solid Aristocrats shell, play nicely under "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Queen Marchesa"}},{"insert":", and some with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Alesha, Who Smiles at Death"}},{"insert":" as well. Jirina feels like a fun card to play, but her starting CMC makes me hesitate. I wouldn't want to try casting her at 6 or 8 in a Mardu shell just for tokens: artifact ramp only goes so far, and most often, those colors lean low. Reanimator wouldn't care, but then, I'd say she fits better in the 99.\n\nJeskai"},{"attributes":{"header":3},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Similarly, Jeskai got great tools. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Whirlwind of Thought"}},{"insert":" is what every Timmy wanted "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Jeskai Ascendancy"}},{"insert":" to be - unconditional card draw engine. Obviously not the same combo potential, but that's ok, it fills a different, needed niche. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Narset of the Ancient Way"}},{"insert":" gives us our first Jeskai walker, and given the colors' affinity for Proliferate, I don't think Ulting her would be impossible. \n\nI don't think either lend directly to Gavi, but they do help create a stronger, more solid shell. And while a lot of the discussion or brewing so far has been around her Cycling synergies (which again, I'm thrilled now exist), I'm most interested long-term in how her second part will play. MTG has printed a lot of cards in the last year concerning second spell cast / second card drawn per turn, and if Gavi can helm a powerful control deck of that sort, I'd probably pilot it for some time.\n\nTemur"},{"attributes":{"header":3},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Finally, I feel like brewing Kalamax just to see how he compares to Animar and Riku. He basically fuses both in a unique way, and I'm sure there are shenanigans and fun to be had outside of going infinite off of a copied Fork.\n"}]}
Edited 4/24/2020, 4:36:51 PM
whirlpool avatarwhirlpool 4 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"kalamax is a combo deck. kalamax+any fork=infinite +1/+1 counters, storm count...\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Of the new commanders, I think that the partners are by far the most interesting. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kathril, Aspect Warper"}},{"insert":" is interesting enough (even though I despise keyword counters), "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kalamax, the Stormsire"}},{"insert":" is sweet but feels a bit.....pushed? "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Xyris, the Writhing Storm"}},{"insert":" is a Temur take on wheels.dec which is cool. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Zaxara, the Exemplary"}},{"insert":" also just feels pushed (as sultai commanders tend to be). Beyond that there's nothing really to write home about. I guess "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Akim, the Soaring Wind"}},{"insert":" makes a fine casual jeskai tokens build. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Tayam, Luminous Enigma"}},{"insert":" might appeal to some of the Johnnys out there, but I think it's boring and lame. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Gavi, Nest Warden"}},{"insert":" just isn't good enough. Play "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Shabraz, the Skyshark"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Brallin, Skyshark Rider"}},{"insert":" instead, they are SO much better at the helm (though that deck will unfortunately always want to devolve into pure wheels). "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Jirina Kudro"}},{"insert":" is just kinda bad..... "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kelsien, the Plague"}},{"insert":" is kind of interesting, but never going to be great no matter how hard you try. And "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Otrimi, the Ever-Playful"}},{"insert":" is just whatever, Mutate is both kind of lackluster AND confusing for newer players, and on top of that there aren't even enough mutate cards to make a powerful deck with it (and there likely won't be for quite some time). \n\nAll in all I think the partners are the best things to come out of this. They are all fair, balanced, fun and unique. The Mardu partners are kind of lackluster (a 4 mana 3/3 that MIGHT make a token? Really?), but they're still interesting enough. I look forward to seeing all of the partners, but most of the main commanders are just bleh. The saddest part about that is that the commanders are still the best thing about this product. I mean the reprints were OKAY (though they should have been atleast a LITTLE more enticing imo), and the new cards are either hot garbage (see "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Agitator Ant"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Eon Frolicker"}},{"insert":") or in the case of a few, pushed as hard as cards can possibly be pushed (see the \"free spell\" cycle like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fierce Guardianship"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Deflecting Swat"}},{"insert":").\n\n*prepares to be verbally attacked because magic players get incredibly upset when you call wizards out for doing mediocre things*\n"}]}
Edited 5/19/2020, 10:59:49 PM