Aeve, Progenitor Ooze EDH

Dotas323 avatarDotas323 7 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"So, I've got an Aeve, progenitor Ooze deck that can normally win by turn 7 or 8 at my weekly kitchen table games, but when I go to my LGS, I get stomped. My kitchen table group already thinks it's strong enough, but I want it to be able to consistently win at my LGS. I know I can swap out my ramp spells for other things like Harrow, where the fetched lands come in untapped to speed things up a bit, but what other ways can I fetch my winning pieces early do you know of? Do you have any other recommendations? Would you like my recommendation on something? \n\nhttps://archidekt.com/decks/5467740/current_aeve_20230924\n\nThe basic goal currently is to get one of the big mana creatures out and able to tap for an appropriate mana with either Umbral Mantel or Staff of Domination, a way to bounce creatures with either Temur Sabertooth, or Cloudstone Curio, and storm off with Aeve, and a trample/haste enabler such as Ulvenwald Oddity//Ulvenwald Behemoth or Akroma's Memorial. \n\nIt requires a good amount of pieces to get going, but I want to find other ways to try and draw my necessary pieces sooner, or fetch them. \n"}]}
Edited 9/24/2023, 11:44:25 PM
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 7 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Have you considered a sideboard? It sounds like your kitchen table group doesn't want a power level arms race, so a sideboard would allow you to play the deck at their level or spice it up for the LGS meta.\n\nNo amount of ramp will compensate for a mana base that is already mana starved. You need to make land drops for ramp to get you ahead of curve. 29 lands will not result in consistently making land drops. I would bet that's the number one reason you struggled at the LGS. \n\nElvish Archdruid and Priest of Titania might be parasitic in your deck. Let's assume you draw one of these 2 cards. With 13 other elves in your deck, you have about a 12% chance of drawing the other 3 elves you need to make an infinte mana engine. That 12% doesn't account for the artifact you need to infinitely untap. (Insert Han Solo quote.)\n\nYou could add "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sword of the Paruns"}},{"insert":" for another combo piece.\n\nYou could also try storing mana for your storm with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Omnath, Locus of Mana"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Horizon Stone"}},{"insert":" .\n\nFor tutors, any deck can run "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Ring of Three Wishes"}},{"insert":" , "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Planar Bridge"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Planar Portal"}},{"insert":" . They all cost a ton of mana, but technically do what you want.\n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 6 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I pretty well agree with Piandao on this one, ESPECIALLY in regards to the sideboard. Rule 0 exists in Commander for a reason; some people just wanna cruise and slowly beat each other to death. Others wanna win turn 2. There's no reason a deck can't do both with a bit of slotting in and out.\nAlso run more lands. 29 is CEDH type numbers, and those only get away with it because they have things like Mana Vault, Crypt, Grim Monolith, and so on. You want a "},{"attributes":{"underline":true},"insert":"minimum"},{"insert":" of 33 lands in most decks that don't run 15+ cheap (0-2) ramp pieces.\n\nIf you want more, pretty cheap tutors, Invasion of Zendikar is never a bad choice, especially seeing as you can swing into it if you get it early, or use one of the newer fight spells from March to kill it and then swing with pseudo unblockable. An interesting note here is that when a battle transforms, it actually casts the back side, which will inadvertently increase your storm count. If you're looking for something a little pricier (you DO have Nykthos, and Heroic Intervention in there afterall) things like Green Sun's Zenith and Finale of Devastation never go wrong, especially as outlets for big mana. Fauna Shaman, while costing a card, is a pretty reliable tutor too, as is Birthing Pod.\n\nI believe one of the questions you also need to ask yourself is, how would you like to win and/or storm off? If you're aiming for a raw storm list that gets you as many Aeve's as possible, you might find it good to basically build the deck as \"I play 20 critters that all have draw a card stapled on them,\" which should provide you a decent pillow fort, and either let you go wide with dorks, or go high and wide with Aeves the second they hit the board. If you wish to play it this way, a Defiler of Vigor would go a long way to assisting, as well as some discount cards like Cloud Key, Emerald Medallion and so on, at which point you can probably start cutting into your untap and interaction, as you're more race focused than tempo focused.\n\nThe other option is to move to a tempo and tutor focus, which is most likely the more reliable strategy.\nUsing things like fight spells to kill their creatures, protection+keyword spells to manipulate combat in your favour, and interaction to slow down their ramping, you'll buy yourself the time you need to get pieces on the board, and cast Aeve with a decent storm count, or a haste enabler on board. Season of Growth is a good addition if this is the route you wish to take, as being able to manipulate your next draw is always valuable. Additionally, something like Weather the Storm may not go wrong in a lost like this, as it buys you even more time, especially if an opponent has a big turn, and you cast it in response. \n\nIdeally, you want to commit more whole heartedly to one strategy. By doing so, your deck will become a lot more focused, which is usually the key to either playing through endless interaction, or keeping the game at a pace your deck is best at.\n\nHope this helps!\n"}]}
Edited 10/3/2023, 3:49:17 AM
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 6 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"P.s, try not to run cards that only have 1 or 2 interactions in your deck. For instance, Walking Ballista is a good card, but you honestly don't have much of a way to win off of it; it requires too many resources on the board to be considered synergistic, and from what I could see with a glance at the deck, it will rarely win you the game, or the steps to do so are kinda costly\nFood chain is a good example of a synergistic card. You can cast Aeve over and over again with increasing storm count with it, enabling infinite Aeves, and also just works well if you don't need the pieces on your board anymore as you are going to win with whatever you're about to do. \n"}]}