Looking for Feedback on my deck which is an upgrade of the Coven Counters precon.

{"ops":[{"insert":"I have brewed my upgrade over the last few days, but still having trouble. Still need 3 more Card Draw cards, more Prevention/Protection Cards, and 1 more board wipe. The problem is that I don't know what to remove.\nThis got the precon because it worked with a legendary creature I already had, Tolsimir Wolfblood. \n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/5622015?sort=alpha&stack=custom"},"insert":"https://archidekt.com/decks/5622015?sort=alpha&stack=custom"},{"insert":"\n\n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 6 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Having a look at the deck list, here's about what I could come up with:\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"Cuts"},{"insert":"\nIncluding "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Temple of the False Gods"},{"insert":", you have 37 lands. You can probably lose 1. I have 35 or less in most decks, and while I wouldn't recommend going below 35, you're "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"over"},{"insert":" 35, so have a little room to cut. You only really need to cut 1 though.\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Knight of the White Orchid"},{"insert":" is probably your weakest ramp piece, so while having the creature is nice, you already have quite a few; I don't think you need this one as well.\nBeing in white, you can probably prioritise white reanimation over green, and so "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Eternal Witness"},{"insert":" is a potential cut for some more immediate reanimation, but admittedly, being able to get anything out of the bin has undeniable utility. From what I've seen you don't seem to have THAT much reanimation, so I wouldn't cut it unless you have an idea for a replacement (such as "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Ascend From Avernus"},{"insert":", and "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Sun Titan"},{"insert":"). I would like to note as well that a decent amount of reanimation can act as a type of pseudo protection, as they can only remove so much. \nOne of your ramp pieces, particularly "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Growth Spasm"},{"insert":" could probably go. The Eldrazi Scion is useful as a body and a small mana boost, but something like "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Kami of Whispered Hopes"},{"insert":" costs the same amount, but has additional, other permanent benefits. (given it interacts with +1/+1 counters and mana generation)\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Custodi Soulbinder"},{"insert":" seems a little weak in this particular list, because from what I can tell you don't have that much token generation. \n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Howling Mine"},{"insert":" is a nice bit of extra card draw, but I don't think the downsides are worth the benefits; it doesn't give you anything more than it's giving your opponents. \n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Blanchwood Armour "},{"insert":"doesn't particularly seem to do much. Something like "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Staff of Titania"},{"insert":" would do a bit more for you, but really neither is that necessary.\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Dawnheart Wardens"},{"insert":" also seems a little weak compared to some of your other cards, or potential additions.\n\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"Card Draw"},{"insert":"\nYou seem to also have a bit of a group hug theme? "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Wall of Mourning"},{"insert":", and "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Howling Mine"},{"insert":" will tend to be more symmetrical than putting you ahead, so something like "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Rites of Flourishing"},{"insert":" will fit well to that theme as well. On this same tangent, "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Gluntch the Bestower"},{"insert":" may have a place, because it does both +1/+1 counters AND card draw, but the one downside to that is that it benefits the whole table, not just you. \nWhile it isn't directly card draw, "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Augur of Autumn"},{"insert":" would work well to keep the deck running even when you aren't hitting much card draw, because it still provides library access. "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Beast Whisperer"},{"insert":" will be similarly advantageous, but admittedly it's a touch pricier. \n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Rabble Rousing"},{"insert":" would provide the dual utility of potentially casting a big creature for free, while also providing you a bit of a fort to hide behind with the additional creature generation. On a similar note, "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Fight Rigging"},{"insert":" will do much the same, but rather than just 1/1 creatures, it'll give you +1/+1 counters. If nothing else with hideaway, you either get to filter out the top 5 cards of your library and get to the good stuff quicker, or you get to put a big thing under the enchantment and potentially cast it for free. \n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Rite of Harmony"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"is a good situational card, where if you know you're about to have a big turn, or need to catch up and have a means of token generation, can provide you the fuel you need. And later, you can flash it back for another big, or potentially, the winning turn. \n\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"Board Wipes"},{"insert":"\nIn a buff based deck, something like "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Slaughter the Strong"},{"insert":" is useful as an early game board wipe. Especially seeing as your commander is a 0/4; you will always get to keep them when you cast the aforementioned board wipe, as long as your commander's power hasn't been modified. \n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Expel the Interlopers"},{"insert":" can be good too if you're losing the power race. It's weak against token decks, but in the same way, if you have lots of creature tokens and only a few big creatures, but your opponents have a bunch of big creatures, you can save yourself having to chump block repeatedly in one fell swoop.\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"By Invitation Only"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"is a personal fave of mine, because it gets around indestructible, protection, and so on.\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Doomskar"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"is also incredibly useful, as it means even if you're being outramped, you can slow your opponents down, and still have mana left over to do other things.\nI personally recommend "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Slaughter the Strong"},{"insert":" and "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Doomskar"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"the most. \n\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"Protection"},{"insert":"\nIn Selesnya, you have about all the protection in the world at your fingertips.\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Privileged Position"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"is probably one of the best permanents that provide perpetual protection, and surprisingly cheap (budget wise.)\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Surge of Salvation"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"is like baby's first Teferi's Protection, and is a bit of useful colour hate too on the rare occasions where it matter. A single white mana for living an extra turn is pretty dang strong.\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Clever Concealment"},{"insert":", while slightly pricier, is an incredibly powerful kind of protection. You can convoke it, so you don't need to keep mana up if you have enough creatures, and you can use it to dodge your own board wipes.\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Flawless Maneuver"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":", "},{"insert":"and "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Obscuring Haze"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":", "},{"insert":"thanks to Commander Masters have become a decent bit cheaper, and so are both very premiere choices for protection and combat manipulation.\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Your Temple is Under Attack"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"has both card draw and protection utility, so it can be a very useful multi-utility card. \nFor single target protection, things like "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Snakeskin Veil"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":", "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Gaea's Gift"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":", "},{"insert":"and "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"italic":true},"insert":"Take Up The Shield"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" "},{"insert":"are good, as they provide +1/+1 counters on top of doing protection for your critters, and especially in the case of the latter two, give keywords which can make an attack more impactful.\n\n"},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"Conclusion"},{"insert":"\nThe deck honestly has a lot of good stuff in it, and a bunch of things I hadn't seen before which I'm always a big fan of, but if there's any takeaways, it's that it has a few things that don't do their job as efficiently as other cards that are available. And there's nothing wrong with that! It adds good flavour. But, you did ask, so I hope some of these recommendations have helped.\n\nTL;DR The deck is good, but no human can be expected to know every card!\n(I've "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"italicised"},{"insert":" card names, and "},{"attributes":{"underline":true},"insert":"underlined"},{"insert":" the ones you don't already have in there)\n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 6 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"DynamoDan makes a lot of thoughtful recommendations. There are some lines here I didn't consiider.\n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 6 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"The numbers of particular card categories you're looking to add seem very specific. Are you following a deck template?\n\nRecommended Cuts: Dawnheart Wardens, Kurbis, Harvest Celebrant, Biogenic Upgrade, Take Vengeance, Terashi's Grasp and Vengeance and Abandoned Outpost.\n\nDraw: "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Armorcraft Judge"}},{"insert":" , "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Beast Whisperer"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Harmonize"}},{"insert":" \n\nBoard Wipe: "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Tragic Arrogance"}},{"insert":" is my favorite budget board wipe. This card lets you bypass most protection effects and sculpt the battlefield in your favor. \n\nProtection: "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Gaea's Gift"}},{"insert":" "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Tyvar's Stand"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Faith's Shield"}},{"insert":" \n\nI disagree with DynamoDan about your land count. People smarter than me have done the math on land counts and making land drops. Check out "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://youtu.be/Hg7nFiDNeHs?si=BxOvYI-4ZWVgNFVQ"},"insert":"Command Zone Episode 455"},{"insert":" and you'll see why I run 36+ in all my decks.\n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 6 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I've heard the \"We've run the numbers and <number> lands is the best\" from a number of different sources and they don't all seem to agree (though they never say a number smaller than 35+), but I have admittedly been punished against the odds before, so I won't deny that running more lands is always safer. I would say there are times where cutting a land is more appropriate than losing out on some value, but Double faced cards DO exist, so there's not always a need, if you can replace something in the list with a double-faced card\n"}]}