Stefan Commander Deck (Tribal Vampire Blood)

Mfois8 avatarMfois8 6 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hey community,\n\nI recently got into EDH and built my first Commander Deck (Stefan Tribal Blood with a touch of Drain and Recursion).\nAs I am not super experienced yet, I am not sure about the finishing touches and the main direction of the deck.\n\nIn the Decklist below, there are all the possible cards to choose from (Maybeboard) in order to complete the deck.\n\nCould you please share your ideas and suggestions?\n\nThank you and all the best !!!\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/5706339/strefan_upgrade_mf"},"insert":"https://archidekt.com/decks/5706339/strefan_upgrade_mf"},{"insert":"\n\n\n"}]}
Edited 10/29/2023, 6:28:37 PM
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 6 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Howdy Mfois8,\n\nSeems like a pretty good first Commander deck! Definite strong Vampire theme, with good amounts of interaction and gameplan.\n\nMy critiques would have to essentially be what you're asking for help with; your end game. It seems a little like you've focused a lot more on the drain aspect of your deck than you have your commander - this isn't a bad thing! But it's a question of how you wanna play. Would you prefer to build a deck focused around your commander? Or one that is self-standing, but runs better when your commander is out? \n\nAs it stands, it seems like you're leaning more towards the latter, which is fine! But I point it out to help guide the decision making process to finish off the deck.\nIf you wanna focus more around your commander, I'd add some more evasion. Things like Rogue's Passage is an evasion staple, for when you want to get through with your commander, or some Trailblazer's boots never go astray. You seem to have the big dudes half of \"Drop it attacking for free\" pretty well covered, but one or two more wouldn't hurt. Of course, none of these are in your sideboard, but I just thought it worth mentioning. \n\nAs for going down the self-standing route, I reckon you're pretty dang close. Plenty of vampires that do lots of stuff, make blood, and drain. If there's anything you can do in that regard, it may be having more recursion, so I'd side in Lich Knight's Conquest, Deathless Ancient, and Call To The Netherworld. Some more protection for your commander may also be good for you. \n\nI'd also highly recommend trying to pickup a Virtue of Persistence, because it works incredibly well for anything that can run it, being both removal and continuous recursion. \nSome more sac outlets may go nicely in there, but specifically what you would add, I'm not the most experienced in that sort of deck sorry so I wouldn't know. Definitely a very solid deck though! Probably more interactive than most, but having an interactive deck in a commander pod is a very healthy thing; it stops undeserved wins cause someone coincidentally found their 2 in the 99, which most pods can't stop (because they run like 3 pieces of disruption). \n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 6 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Mfois8: Say yes to sac outlets. So many good vampires have death triggers. Out of your Maybeboard I would definitely use Vermin Gorger, which gets points for being both a vampire and a sac outlet. In the same vein (😁) take a look at "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Viscera Seer"}},{"insert":", which has the added bonus of no activation cost. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"High Market"}},{"insert":" is a sacrifice outlet, a land, and it can trigger your Blood/Bond combo.\n\nThis next part is more of a sidebar with DynamoDan. I agree with his post, not knocking his recommendations at all. I want to like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Virtue of Persistence // Locthwain Scorn"}},{"insert":", especially for its potential in my "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/3915546/arvinox"},"insert":"Arvinox"},{"insert":" deck, but it's 7 mana for an enchantment that can be removed or disrupted while I wait for my next turn to net one creature. That one creature is also unlikely to be equal value for mana. For comparison, I do run "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Grave Betrayal"}},{"insert":" in Arvinox. It's the same mana cost, it can trigger multiple times on the turn it comes in play, and it adds counters. What am I missing about Virtue of Persistence that makes it a $15 card? \n"}]}
Edited 10/30/2023, 9:37:48 PM
Mfois8 avatarMfois8 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed inspiration\n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Previews for Lost Caverns of Ixalan reminded of this thread. There are some new Vampires that would be great in this deck. I'd link them, but they haven't all populated in Archidekt's card search yet.\n"}]}
Mfois8 avatarMfois8 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Yeaaah!!! Thanks for thinking of me.\nI already preordered that precon twice.\nA lot of value in there and nice building blocks!\n\nThank you sir\n"}]}