(Modern) Deck Construction Help

puppy528 avatarpuppy528 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I've been toying with a G/B \"food\" deck for a bit over a month now, and I'm a little stuck on my last few card-slots. Since I've been bugging my local cardshop's players about it quite a lot, I thought maybe some online advice may help. For context, most of my opponents tend to run either Rakdos Scam, Amulet Titan, or some form of Tron, with a smattering of other popular decks such as Four-Color Omnath or Murktide here and there.\n\n\n\nHere are the cards I'm absolutely certain about:\n\nLand (18):\n\n4x Blooming Marsh\n4x Urza's Saga\n6x Forest\n2x Swamp\n2x Nurturing Peatland\n\n\n\nCreatures (20)\n\n4x Asmoranomardicadaiculdacar\n4x Feasting Troll King\n4x Gilded Goose\n4x GingerBrute\n4x Ovalchase DareDevil\n\n\n\nOther (16)\n\n4x Many Partings\n4x The Underworld Cookbook\n1x Aether Vial\n1x Springleaf Drum\n3x Cranial Plating *(with a fourth in the maybe pile)\n3x Finale of Devastation *(same as Cranial Plating)\n\n\n\nThat gives me about 4-6 slots (depending on how many FoD or Cranial Platings I run) for the following:\n\n3x Academy Manufacturers (massive amounts of artifact token generation, all of which are useful)\n2x Night of the Sweets Revenge (turns those foods into massive mana accel, but only once I get to four mana. Also a potential finisher)\n1x Zephyr Boots (potential discard trigger for Asmo and FTK, plus makes the Urza Constructs pretty menacing without any other help)\n1x Haywire Mite (for obvious removal reasons)\n2x-3x Bone Shards (cheap, gets planeswalkers, and discards, but a sorcery. Good against Tron, not so good against decks such as Amulet Titan)\n2x Lilliana of the Veil (mostly a discard trigger, but also creature removal, etc)\n2x-3x Assassin's Trophy (instant speed, but costs more than Bone Shards and doesn't let me discard)\n\n\n\nI'd really love to just run the Academy Manufacturers, the Night of the Sweets Revenges, and a fourth Cranial Plating), but it leaves me so very vulnerable to whatever their deck is doing, since it would mean no removal whatsoever. Also, I've already considered most of the other cards not in this \"maybe\" list, such as Peregrin Took (not needed) and Gingerbread Cabin (I don't have the $$$ for the fetch lands and shock lands needed to make it reliable), so I'm really just trying to decide between the ones listed. \n"},{"attributes":{"link":" https://archidekt.com/decks/5332735/feeding_time "},"insert":" https://archidekt.com/decks/5332735/feeding_time "},{"insert":"is the Archidekt link to it, with the previously stated 3x A-M, 2x NotSW, & fourth Plating in the spare slots.\n\nAny constructive input would be appreciated, thanks!\n"}]}
Edited 11/7/2023, 3:32:43 PM
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Link to the deck dooesn't work.\n\nI don't play modern, but I'm always game for theory crafting. Is the Food deck you're building a known archetype in Modern, or your own creation?\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Link should be fixed. The idea is based on an older known archetype, from before I started playing again, but it's mostly a personal creation. I own it in real life (currently running Bone Shards and NotSW in the undecided cardslots, but it changes as I test out the other options) and it's been a lot of fun to play in local tournaments. It has yet to get 1st, but it usually gets pretty close, with only a single loss or draw. \n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"While I'm not the best authority on it, I have started looking into modern myself, and so if I had to provide any suggestion, it would likely be to do the greedy thing in main, and have the necessary hate in side boarding to always adapt to the common decks if you have bad compatibility. Ideally, a deck will be able to stand against anything without side boarding, sure, but it unfortunately just often isn't possible, and so building a deck which aims for a greedy round 1 isn't necessarily a bad thing; if you win, you get a free round. If you lose, you know now what they're running and can hate appropriately. Naturally, they can do the same, so betting on round 2 and 3 isn't necessarily the safest strategy, but if nothing else, it allows for the greatest deck building freedom.\n\nIf you're not too keen on that approach - totally fair, in which case I'd recommend definitely going for at minimum 2 Assassin's Trophy in main, and maybe 2 Bone Shards, but admittedly Bone Shards is less versatile than AT.\nIf you're looking for discard outlets, rather than something combat based like Zephyr boots, might I recommend Treasure Vault? It does discard, and draw, and while it costs 2 mana, the treasure is essentially also mana storage. The advantage of being able to do this at any time also shouldn't be slept on - after all, if someone picks off Zephyr boots at sorcery speed before you can swing, they've lost all their value. Of course, Zephyr Boots have the upside of being cheaper, so running both as 2 ofs may be the go?\nIn main, you can also afford to run less Underworld Cookbooks, given that Asmoranomardicadaistanculdacar tutors for them. Unless your opponent is representing that they have a lot of removal for them, 2 should be enough in main board to make the deck work, and 2 in side to put into main if they DO have a lot of hate for them. This also makes room for more of the aforementioned Zephyr Boots and Treasure Vaults.\nI also feel running only 1 swamp is pretty greedy, but your dual colour lands do mostly make up for it I suppose. Having a minimum of 2 should keep you out of trouble, and in general running a couple more lands wouldn't hurt.\n\nI know you said you've considered other things bar those maybe board cards too, but did you consider:\nDeadly Dispute? It hits both artifacts and critters - you swing into death, to try and get some free damage? Now you draw 2 and make a treasure. They try and remove Troll King? Draw 2, make a treasure. This can also be used on end step, if you need answers next turn, or, it can just help filter for the few black mana you are running and will need.\nSamwise Gamgee? While the \"3 food to put it into hand\" may not seem great, I would like to note that it gets back historic spells; this includes any artifacts that get removed, or your Urza's Sagas. While it may be off colour, if you run something as basic as a Terramorphic Expanse, or the-already-in-list Academy Manufactors, that puts you on colour for it. It should also be noted that with a Sac outlet, Samwise goes infinite with Feasting Troll King.\nProsperous Innkeeper or Gala Greeters? Having a means of making treasure is incredibly strong. The life gain effects of both of these also make it easier to stay in the game.\nChatterfang, Squirrel General? I mean... you're making tokens and in Golgari. He speaks for himself. \n\nMy closing thoughts are that the deck definitely has a plan, and seems to be following it well, but I would argue you're not getting as much value out of the colours you're in as you could be, by not running more black staples; Blood Artist, Witch's Oven, these sorts of \"My stuff dying gives me value\" cards are quite strong. Doing discard, playing against scam, you could also opt for Syr Konrad, for a more universal kill plan. It's definitely a good deck with some neat tech in there - I'm especially a fan or Urza's Saga into Aether Vial to cast Asmoranomardicadaistanculdacar, but I believe shifting a tiny bit away from such a heavy food focus and adding in a life, or creature based sub theme could do big things for the deck.\n\nHope this helps! Sorry it ended up being so many words!\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"That's some really solid advice, and I appreciate all of it. It sounds like you really know what you're talking about. I was leaning towards running the 3x Academy Manufacturers as expected, and then some Assassin's Trophy main, instead of the NotSR or last Cranial Plating, but I think on your advice I may just leave them in the board as well (probably replacing Fatal Push), and just go whole hog game 1. \n\nTreasure Vault is worth considering now that I'm running the Academy Manufacturers, but with only 18 land, dropping in a second type that doesn't inherently make colored mana (in addition to Urza's Saga) may not be a supportable idea. Even losing a Saga when it triggers is painful enough I run the Springleaf Drum for exactly that reason. I'll definitely look into the idea, tho, since it can be so strong with A-M. \n\nAs for Samwise, I did consider Peregrin Took more than once, as he goes CRAZY with Academy Manufacturers, but I found that I actually don't need the obscene amount of food/treasures they make just to deal 20 to my opponent, so I cut him out of the running for those slots I'm deciding between. Your suggestions about Samwise himself sound like a fun combo, but if I add him, Glitterfang, et al, it also sounds like a pretty different deck than what I'm building.\n\nSyr Conrad is just way too expensive in my build, as even getting the 4 mana for the NotSW has proving to be a hindrance sometimes. Waiting until I have 5 just to start doing other things better is out of the question for this build. I could see an argument for having him in a more mana-flush deck full of 4x Academy Manufacturers, 4x Peregrin Took, 4x NotSR, but not as things are. I did very strongly consider Witch's Oven for a long while (and Cauldron Familiar to go with it), but ended up cutting them for the aggro approach you see here instead. \n\nCards like Blood Artist do have a lot of value, but aren't game-changers on their own, and as a result, while useful, I don't think it's useful enough. Maybe if he counted as an artifact for the Platings and Constructs, like the GingerBrutes do, or was even a 1-drop for Aether Vial (after Asmo-long-name is out, I usually set it to 1), but he is none of those things.\n\nJust to give you a clearer idea how it plays, my deck usually wins in one of the following ways: \nCookbook + FTK + any other food (including GingerBrute in a pinch, but that's risky on card-advantage) for a turn-2 FTK that just gets there; thank you and good-day."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Urza Constructs that get too beefy too fast, from all the food going everywhere, leaving them spending so much effort killing them, that I out-value my opponent with the rest of my deck doing what it does. This is actually the most common win I get, especially mid-game."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Urza's Saga search for a GingerBrute to go with the Cranial Plating already out, and enjoy the often-unblockable damage from his non-food ability."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n\n"},{"insert":"Edit: I like your idea on Deadly Dispute, since sacrificing a food for two cards seems good. But what in the world do I cut for it?? \n"}]}
Edited 11/8/2023, 5:37:43 PM