Need help fine-tuning Carmen, Cruel Skymarcher

Bigsplashy avatarBigsplashy 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I finally finished my Carmen, Cruel Skymarcher deck yesterday, but I don't think I'm taking good enough advantage of Carmen's recursion ability. Any advice you have on how the deck should be tweaked would be helpful. I'd like to keep it under $500, but I'm having trouble coming up with cards to remove and add. https://archidekt.com/decks/5874905 \n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I would build Carmen with repeating edict effects like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Anowon, the Ruin Sage"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Doom Foretold"}},{"insert":".\n\nCards like this will give you an advantage on board as you can use Carmen to loop your sacrifiices out of the graveyard. \n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Bigslpashy,\n\nThe biggest question I have about the deck is; how powerful do you want it? Power tends to be pretty cost prohibitive - not to say you can't build a synergistic, consistent deck without spending big money on it, but it is a fact that at the highest level, you usually need the best in class cards in order to achieve that kind of level of deck.\nI'm personally assuming this is a deck aimed at being a \"solid\" deck - it can sit down with casual players and be the arch-enemy, but fair, and it can sit down with the big boys, and hold its own to some extent.\n\nWith this level of power in mind, I'd say that unless you have copies of them already, you really don't need Phyrexian Tower and Grim Tutor. These can be replaced with cheaper cards that have similar effects. Diabolic Tutor is a good example of a cheap tutor. 4 mana is slightly pricey, but it doesn't have a life loss effect which is nice. Profane Tutor is another good replacement for this/general addition to the deck.\nSimilarly, Eiganjo and Takenuma are nice to have, but aren't really needed to make the deck function.\n\nIf I had to guess, it seems like the deck has to many sacrifice outlets for the amount of reanimation that Carmen is able to achieve. If you want to increase the amount of reanimation she's doing, you could use The Peregrine Dynamo, Lithoform Engine, and Strionic Resonator, but that admittedly seems like extra steps. Rather than strictly building around Carmen, I would use her as an assistant to the engine, but not a necessary component; when she's out, things run smoothly, but when she's not, the deck still runs on its own.\n\nHope this helps!\n"}]}