Pauper commander deck, please help

Jerochi avatarJerochi 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hello, \n\nI'm building this deck for a pauper commander game this coming Friday. The general idea is to just swing in for commander damage with [[Akawalli, the Seething Tower]] and take advantage of his descend abilities. This is what I'm currently working with, but I feel as though I need more card draw and ways to get permanents into my graveyard. \n\n[Commander]\nAkawalli, the Seething Tower\n\nhttps://archidekt.com/decks/5917623/fungus_in_the_face\n\nI believe I have this in a state that I am now happy with. It leans towards Voltron, making my commander large and in charge and hopefully unblockable either through menace and his descend 8 ability or Whispersilk Cloak. There are a number of ways to get my permanents into the graveyard, either through self-mill, self-sacrifice, or dredge. A number of ways to increase my commander's damage, either through buffs or giving him deathtouch for when he does get blocked, as well as an amount of either protection or \"if this creature dies, return it to the battlefield\" effects to keep my commander on the board. There are also a number of cards that let me draw cards. \n"}]}
Edited 11/21/2023, 5:41:09 AM
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Howdy Jerochi!\n\nHaving a look at the list, I would have to say that the deck has a concept, but it's not focused enough on executing it to really be a threat yet in my opinion. I imagine this is why you're here asking! So for how to make it more focused on descending and then beating people to death, I'd recommend the following:\n\nIf a card isn't advancing your game plan, protecting your game plan, or a threat on it own, then it shouldn't be in the list.\nFor example, something like Sakura Tribe Elder is good, because it does both ramp and sacrifices itself for your descend, where as something like Okiba Reckoner Raid does.. essentially nothing in the deck. It makes people lose life, which is cool I guess, but when your opponents have 40 life, 2 life over 2 turns won't be enough to make a huge enough difference to make it worth. The saga doesn't even go to the bin until its backside dies, so it definitely has no place in the list in place of something that could be milling you, surveiling, or killing your stuff for a benefit.\n\nSo have a look through the list and ask yourself, for each card, \"Is this just cool? Or does it win me the game?\" \nRamp is always good, so ramp cards can stay. Especially if they're permanents that sacrifice themselves. Navigation Orb, Commander's Sphere, and Fertilid are all good examples of this sort of thing. \nMill is also very good, especially symmetrical mill effects (ones that hit everyone.) The reason being, YOU want stuff in your graveyard, but your opponents don't necessarily. So if you can put in cards that mill everyone, you're hurting their gameplan and advancing your own at the same time. \nSurveil is a very similar effect to scrying, but instead of able to put it on the bottom if you don't want it, you can put it in the bin. There are a decent number of cheap cards that do this, one of particular note being Tocasia's Dig Site, as it is a land, making it a bit harder to remove, and giving you something to do with unused mana.\nFinally, sacrifice and discard. You have a bit of both of these effects, used to varying success, but I think (especially with your lands) you've got it pretty well covered. Some things like Deadly Dispute, and Undercity Scrounger would potentially be pretty good - creatures that eat other creatures to make themselves bigger, or effects that give you value from your stuff dying. Bone Shards is an example of this in a slightly different tangent; using your cards as a means of removal.\nAs for the remainder of the deck, you want protection and threats. The Ulamog's Crusher is a great example of a threat, as it is something you can play late game and say \"Deal with it or lose.\" Protection in Pauper might be things like Armor of Shadows, Gaea's Gift, Tamiyo's Safekeeping, and various other dirt cheap responses. These are good because your deck is built around 1 dude getting through and killing your opponent - he needs to stay on the board for as long as possible.\n\n...and that's my general advice!\nAs for distribution of those sorts of cards, you'll want...\n33 min. lands, but I personally recommend 35.\n8-15 Ramp cards, including the creatures that ramp.\n10+ protection. Ideally you'll have some creatures that sacrifice to give protection, or some equipment, but I doubt there's much in Pauper.\n8-12 removal. Ideally creatures that enter and remove your opponents stuff, but instant speed is important, so prioritise that where possible.\nAnd then the rest is a mix of card draw, value, and threats! Something like 10+ draw, and 20 mill/sacrifice/surveil/threats. Threats can include equipment that make your commander big, but keep in mind, you don't want to get him out until a) he is absolutely needed, and b) when you have protection for him. Reason being that once a commander dies once, getting them back again is a right pain. So you want him to come out as a minimum of a 5/5, so that the inevitable red deck doesn't just lightning bolt him straight away. If you're ramping with artifacts and lands though, this should be pretty easy.\n\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"TL;DR"},{"insert":", I've given a general analysis of your deck. You have lots of good stuff in there, but not all the good stuff is directly in line with that you want to do, so I'd recommend stripping it back a bit and re-evaluating the cards you have in there. No harm in making an ideal list, but having backup cards if you can't make it in time.\n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Also sorry for this long af post. I personally think it's better to teach you how to find the cards you should have in there, rather than just tell you what to add and cut. If you're having trouble finding cards though, Archidekt has in-built Scryfall, so if you want to find particular effects, here's how you can:\nGo to the magnifying glass in the top left"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Make sure it's in \"Syntax Search\" mode."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Use the Scryfall syntax to look up cards."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\t\t\t\t\tScryfall Syntax can be found here https://scryfall.com/docs/syntax , but here's a brief tutorial:\no: (or oracle:) can be used to find words on the card. \ntype: can be used to find a card type. \nlegal: can be used to check what formats it's legal in. \ncommander: tells it what colors your commander is.\nFor example, if I wanted to look up a card that was a creature that's legal in pauper which says \"Sacrifice a creature: do a thing\" I might put \n\"type:creature legal:pauper commander:bg o:sacrifice o:creature\", and it would tell me there's 100+ cards that do that, or similar things. You can also just look for the effect and ignore the type. If you specifically want activated abilities, you'd add o:\":\" (because abilities have a : separating the cost and effect)\n\t\t\tAnd then happy hunting! \n\nAs for some more recommendations, the ones I mentioned in the post are:\nRamp\nNavigation Orb, Commander's Sphere, Fertilid. Mind Stone, and Golgari Cluestone would be good too. \nSurveil\nTocasia's Dig Site\nSelf-sacrifice\nDeadly Dispute, and Undercity Scrounger.\nProtection\nArmor of Shadows, Gaea's Gift, Tamiyo's Safekeeping. Unearth is also super duper good.\n\nCuts I recommend are:\nCreatures\nConsuming Aetherborn, Elves of Deep Shadow, Fell Horseman, Llanowar Elves, Serpent Blade Assailant\n\nEnchantments\nBeastial Bloodline, Okiba Reckoner Raid\n\nInstants\nDash Hopes\n\n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"As usual, DynamoDan makes a lot of great recommendations. As usual, we have different opinions about land counts. I recommend 36-38 lands in most decks. Less if you have a lot of fast mana (most of which are not legal in Pauper formats) In decks with high curves or decks with land themes I recommend 39+. More lands equates to less mulligans, making more land drops and ultimately playing more magic. Ramp usually doesn't compensate for missing land drops, and for that reason ramp effects do not amount to lands in a deck's composition.\n\nRegarding the rest of your 99, I would look for more ways to give your commander Deathtouch and Menace. Your commander's first ability grants trample, so you're already halfway to taking advantage of the Deathtouch-Trample interraction. Your commandeer's second ability combined with Menace results in your commander being unblockable. \n\nDeathtouch: "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Aspect of Gorgon"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Battle-Rage Blessing"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Offer Immortality"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Undercity Uprising"}},{"insert":"\n\nMenace: "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Blood Curdle"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Cavern Whisperer"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Dredging Claw"}},{"insert":"\n\nI'm a big fan of cards filling multiple roles. A couple of the recommended cards either protect your commander or remove an opponent's creature. To fit these cards in, I would do another assessment of your cards the way DynamoDan suggested. There are still some cards in your list that don't do a lot for your game plan.\n"}]}
Edited 11/20/2023, 11:18:36 AM
{"ops":[{"insert":"With both of your recommendations i did a pass through and tried to put card in groups based on what i think they do. I came across a card that i would like your thoughts on, Deadly Recluse, i think is the name. A 1/2 deathtouch reach creature for 2. It doesn't really fit any additiinal roll outside of being a blocker. But it can block pesky flyers and should kill them. \nI also have an interaction question after looking at another card in combimation with the commander. With Trailblazer's tourch, it says \"when equiped creature becomes blocked, it deals 2 damage to each creature blocking it.\" If my commander has it's decend 4 ability giving it trample and something else giving it deathtouch, would he kill the creature(s) blocking it during thw block step with the torch? Would excess dmg tranple over here? And if they do die in the declare blocks step, would he then do damage as though he wasn't blocked?\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"I also had considered the mance thing before, i just didn't have a good card for it in my collection on hand at the time. It was a creature with an ability that cost 8 and made it so creatures i controlled couldn't be blocked except by 2 or more creatures. I thought the 8 mana each turn was too expensive though.\n"}]}