Need help to build my mardu knights deck

isquw_ avatarisquw_ 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hey, I need help with removing some cards from this knights deck until I have 60, but I'm in doubt, which ones would you recommend taking or putting in this deck?\nI'm open to new ideas\nhttps://archidekt.com/decks/5943375/mardu_knights_aggro_ramp\n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Is this a kitchen table deck, or are you trying to build for Modern organized play? The community can be more helpful if we know your intentions for the deck and the setting you plan to play it in.\n\nHere are some tips I would offer regardless of where you plan to play this deck:\n\nSwap out those Shocks and Lightning Strikes for 4 copies of "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Lightning Bolt"}},{"insert":". More damage than the Shocks, half the mana of the Lightning Strikes. Lightning Bolt is one of the best cards ever printed, and it's been reprinted a bunch in recent sets so prices are low.\n\nRe-do your mana base. Tournament Grounds is good enough to run 4 copies. In a 3-color deck, run 3-color lands. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Nomad Outpost"}},{"insert":" is great on a budget. If price or proxies are not an issue, then skip the lands that ETB tapped and run fetch lands.\n\nLast one is just housekeeping. You put Venerable Knight in your Anthem Category, but it's not an anthem. Categorize your cards how you want; I was just pointing it out in case you weren't aware.\n\nI'd be happy to make more recommendations based on a better picture of what you want for the deck.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hello I'm excited about someone helping because I'm just starting out and this is the deck I have and I really like knights. It's actually more of a casual kitchen deck, you can see that I'm not using 4 copies of cards, because it's a rule that the people I play with use up to 3 commons/uncommons, 2 rares and 1 mythic. So I wanted help to define the best cards to stay and enter, those that have synergy and others that don't need to be in the deck, because the deck has 80 cards, so I need to remove them until I have 60.\n\n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 5 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi isquw_\n\nIf I had any immediate advice, as much as I appreciate this dilemma myself (often being a victim of it), you're trying to do a bit too much in the deck. Modern is a format that thrives on consistency, and therefore, you want as many 4 ofs in the deck as possible, want to be as close to 60 cards as possible, and want to try and follow one theme whole heartedly, while protecting it and yourself with interaction. Of course, as Piandao mentions, this is entirely dependent on if this is a kitchen table deck or a \"I want to win at my local games store\" deck (I'm defaulting to the latter)\n\nYou obviously wanna do knights, as you have plenty of them, but you ideally want to only have the most necessary knights that will be the most efficient. In some niche cases, you may run a slightly strange knight who has a specific effect that's good at stopping your opponents, but you'll typically want something like that as a sideboard piece, not main board. Also, your interaction should aim to hit more things. \n\nNow, as for cuts and recommendations, here's what I'd suggest you cut, and what I'd suggest you put in your side board:\n\t\t"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Cuts"},{"insert":"\nShock - there's better options"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Lightning Strike - there's better options"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Syr Alin, the Lion's Claw"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Josu Vess, Lich Knight"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Desperate Farmer"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Venerable Knight"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Acclaimed Contender"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Renegade Tactics"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Mortify"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Werefox Bodyguard"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\t\t"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Sideboard"},{"insert":"\nKnight of Dusk's Shadow (as a 2 of)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\t\t"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Maybeboard"},{"insert":"\nConclave Tribunal (it's not very good card, but is passable if it's what you have on hand)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nNow for additions and recommendations,\n\t\t"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Mainboard"},{"insert":"\nAdeline, Resplendent Cathar (2 of)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Virtue of Loyalty (2 of)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Invasion of Gobakhan (2 of in main, 1 or 2 in sideboard)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Boros Charm (4 of. Card is insane)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Lightning Bolt (2 of, 2 in Side. It's rare you'll need them, but against burn it works)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Stroke of Midnight (2 of, 2 in side)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Surge of Salvation (2 of, 2 in side)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Path to Exile (2 of, 2 in side) <here's a cool trick, if you're mana screwed real bad, you can path one of your tokens to get a basic>"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\t\t"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Considerations"},{"insert":"\nCathar's Crusade does a lot of good for that go wide stuff"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit isn't a knight so it's not an auto-main, but, it does make your weakest stuff better?"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Thrill of Possibility because instant speed card advantage is nice."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Doom Blade is very good, cheap removal, particularly as a sideboard against non-black"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Go for the Throat is similar to doomblade, but artifacts"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Cut Down is great turn 1 or 2 removal, for if you're getting out aggroed, or you're up against scam (i.e, they cheat out a grief and use Not Dead After All to keep it around) "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Bedevil is versatile, but a little pricey, so a bit hard to slot in."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Abrade, as above mentioned"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Cleansing Wildfire will occasionally be relevant, and fortunately, people don't run many basics, so if they have too many in play it could take them off a land with no downside. Sideboard card."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Valor is playable, but not the best, so it'd at most be a 2 of."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Chance for Glory can sometimes be enough to finish up a game, especially at instant speed."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Mardu Charm isn't quite good enough for me to highly recommend it, but having hand hate and damage printed on the same card is nice."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Thalia's Lancers, while kinda expensive to cast, finds you things like Adeline and Aryel, which can be a pretty big leg up. 4/4 with first strike is also just decent. A good, weak-strong option for a bit of flavour. "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nThe exact numbers are up to you, and you totally don't have to follow any of this advice, but at the very least, I'd personally start by making all your non-legendaries 4 ofs, and trying to cut cards until you're as close to 60 as possible. On 60, you can get away without about 17-19 lands too. \nIf you only have 1 legendary, I'd make that a 4 of in a 60 card list, but if you have more than one, you can probably run them as 3s or 2s, because having a legendary you can't cast thanks to the legendary rule is pretty frustrating.\n\nYou'll also wanna develop a sideboard, as above mentioned. These can be extremely useful, as they're literally designed to improve your odds in your worst match ups. How to build a sideboard... well, you'll have to figure out what you want, but you should essentially think of \"how do I deal with [this] archetype?\" And try to find 1 or 2 cards that do the trick, or, that potentially protect from multiple decks. For instance, you might run Surge of Salvation as a 4 of against Rakdos scam, because it does colour hate against those colours, but you might sideboard out Doomblade when you do, because Doomblade doesn't effect the targets you need it to. \n\nSorry it turned out to be a lot, but I hope this helps!\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Dynamo\n\nIt really is a more casual deck to start with, maybe later on I'll invest more so I can have a more competitive deck. But these are exactly the types of tips and help I need, you gave me several great options to include in my deck, and I showed you what I don't need to continue using in the main deck.\nBut I just wanted to gather a lot of things at once and I lost my conscience and ended up becoming a mess, I'm going to change that, it helps a lot for me to remove certain cards that I don't need, and I'm going to go after the ones you recommended and I can place.\nDon't worry, I read everything very carefully, I'm happy to see you help me.\n\n"}]}