Merfolk deck needs some TLC

MrPennyApple avatarMrPennyApple 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I recently started trying to build my own decks after not playing MTG for around a decade. After a couple of play tests, my OnlyFins mono blue merfolk deck seems to be a bit slow, as well as lacking in damage output and general synergy. I did use edcrec.com to try to synergize as best I could but I'm open to recommendations to improve it however possible. Trying to keep the budget somewhat manageable, too, if at all possible. Appreciate any feedback!\n\nDeck link: https://archidekt.com/decks/6020409/onlyfins\n"}]}
Edited 12/4/2023, 4:21:10 AM
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Post a link to the deck if you want people to look at it. Some people don't take the time to navigate and search through your profile. \n\nLove the deck name.\n\nYour deck looks like it's trying to do too many things. I recommend you either cut the mill stuff or double down on it. Mill and self-mill are better as dedicated strategies. \n\nIf you cut mill effects from your deck, then you can make the deck more focused on combat.\n\nIf you swap some of the combat-focused cards for more mill effects, then I recommend building in more combos to shore up your likelihood of pulling off a mill win.\n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi MrPennyApple,\n\nIt seems like a pretty solid commander deck! I love the name, and the utter commitment to merfolk. If I had any recommendations, it may be to trade off some of your interactive enchantments (i.e ones you put on opponent's creatures) and replace them with merfolk who achieve similar, or the same effects. An example may be replacing something like Claustrophobia with a Tishana's Tidebinder, or some other perma-tapping effect.\nI suggest this because having more merfolk in a merfolk deck is a strictly good thing, where as having non-merfolk cards doesn't have the same level of payoff, and can sometimes reduce the power of the deck. Additionally, other uses for your merfolk after they achieve their desired effect is very strong, i.e, tapping someone's stuff, then countering their spell using Voldalian Hexcatcher. \n\nAnother suggestion is more artifact ramp. You have a few, but you seem a little light on ramp artifacts. Some good additions are Thought Vessel, Mind Stone, and Arcane Signet, and maybe a Caged Sun to really nail the coffin, just to name a few. On the note of mana, a Reliquary Tower also goes well in commander, as would a Path of Ancestry; it may enter tapped, but a free scry for casting something you were going to cast anyway is hard to beat. \n\nTo follow up on the interaction front though, you may find that having more instants may pay well, as non-mono green struggles to ramp, and so having more universal counters (rather than a specifically creature & planeswalker one for example,) and removal (such as bounce spells and kill spells like Pongify) will keep you in the game while you try and make a board state. Blue excels in playing at its own pace, and forcing others to match it, afterall. \n\nIf you're having trouble finding any of the aforementioned, you may find that having a bit of a play with Archidekt's Syntax Search, or Scryfall (they use the same search engine and syntax) may pay off well. For instance, here is how you may look for merfolk that are legal in a mono-blue commander that tap people's creatures:\n >\t\tt:merfolk legal:commander color=<u oracle:\"tap target\"\t\t\t<\nYou can similarly look for any key phrasings using 'oracle:' such as \"counter target\" or \"cannot be blocked\". I personally use this when looking for silly cards I believe may exist but don't know for sure, or for looking for things with similar effects. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the above mentioned are very powerful search tools. Here is the official syntax guide for you as well, or, for a more user friendly experience, just press the advanced search button, as it comes with various search customisations. \nhttps://scryfall.com/docs/syntax \n\nI can't figure out how to weave it in anywhere else, but a Bident of Thassa is a classic pick for anything Merfolk-combat focused. Lots of good choices!\n\nEither way, I hope I helped, and wish you happy hunting in your quest for making the No. 1 Onlyfins! I'd recommend keeping in mind the power level of the pods you regularly play against, as while powering up a deck feels nice, it can sometimes make the deck a bit hard to bring to the table. I'm not saying don't upgrade - I'm just saying don't suddenly turn it up to an 11 unless your opponents have already done that. \n\nWith that warning in mind though, happy brewing! \n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"P.s, sorry if this is a lot! I'd personally recommend consuming it in bite sized pieces if it's a bit much, but hope it helps none the less\n"}]}