[EDH] Zirda and the Omens: Worth it over a land?

Feathersongs avatarFeathersongs 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Heya! I'm cleaning up my first EDH deck and I feel like I've hit a hurdle-\n\nMy commander is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Zirda, the Dawnwaker"}},{"insert":" , her ability makes the scry effects of both "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Omen of the Forge"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Omen of the Sun"}},{"insert":" cheaper, right? But, with a manabase of only 32 lands and 4 CMC 3-or-less Mana rocks, I feel like I'm not drawing the lands I need often enough. I'm thinking of cutting these for a Mountain and Plains respectively, but I'm not 100% sold. Omen of the Forge comes in on turn 2, and can usually ping a dork or a face, so it's not an awful turn 2. But Omen of the Sun seems like it's contesting Zirda.\n\nOn the other hand, I really value scry as somone that's coming into EDH and Boros as a pure control player. Am I overvalueing these cards? Should I just make them lands?\n\nThanks in advance~ ^=^\n"}]}
Edited 7/6/2020, 8:52:34 PM
Derbyshire avatarDerbyshire 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":{"card-link":"Zirda, the Dawnwaker"}},{"insert":" does make the scry abilities cheaper, costing only R or W to activate if Zirda is on the field. I think that 32 lands is a little low, especially with only 4 small rocks. The curve of the deck might justify it, but it would be a lot easier to give advice on the deck if you posted the decklist, so I could make suggestions with a more complete picture. Here are my thoughts off the cuff. I will try to only suggest cards that meet Zirda's companion rules, even if they do not benefit from her ability.\n\nI like the idea of running the omens, but I think "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Omen of the Sun"}},{"insert":" would be the one to go. Without looking at the synergies, two 1/1s and a little life are not really worth the cost, a total of 4 manna best case. I would rather run "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Mobilization"}},{"insert":" as a token maker, with a much more useful activated ability.\n\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Omen of the Forge"}},{"insert":" seems like it is good. It works flavorfully with you commander, being a permanent with an activated ability, and it works as removal. If I were building it, I would want to run only permanents that meet the Companion ability, so I like that it is fitting removal. \n\nOther ways to get card advantage/Selection in those colors are "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Slate of Ancestry"}},{"insert":", (especially if you are running a lot of tokens. I don't mind paying four to draw four, and I often can draw 7+ in a token deck), the cycling lands (I like them, but you said you were not seeing enough lands), and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Boros Locket"}},{"insert":" (I love mana Rocks I can sack for cards later). \nYou said you were only running 4 small mana rocks. I would recommend (in no particular order) "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Mind Stone"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Boros Locket"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Paradise Mantle"}},{"insert":" (if you have sufficient creatures), "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fractured Powerstone"}},{"insert":" (A two mana rock, and if you happen to play planar choas, a free bonus. This is the sketchiest of the picks.) and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sword of the Animist"}},{"insert":". There are also the three mana rocks that are a lot worse, but might work for you, like the totems ("},{"insert":{"card-link":"Foriysian Totem"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Thunder Totem"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fountain of Ichor"}},{"insert":") "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Bonder's Ornament"}},{"insert":" (might be playable with Zirda's Reduction) "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Basalt Monolith"}},{"insert":" (goes infinite with zirda on the field, but is about $8) "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Magnifying Glass"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Seer's Lantern"}},{"insert":".\n\nSorry for the wall of text.\nTLDR: I would drop Omen of the sun, and add in "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Magnifying Glass"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Seer's Lantern"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Bonder's Ornament"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sword of the Animist"}},{"insert":", and maybe a couple of others. All those give you repeatable filtering or draw (Ramp in the case of the sword). If you want to post the decklist, I can make better suggestions. Until then, I hope this helped!\n"}]}
Edited 7/7/2020, 6:46:33 PM
{"ops":[{"insert":"Oh my gosh thank you so muchhh!\n\nI knew about the "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Basalt Monolith"}},{"insert":" combo, but I was apprehensive to buy it until I gave my weak decklist a few runs- I'm al ot more comfortable spending money on this deck now that I know I'll be playing it as my main deck ^^.\n\nThank you for going into so much detail! I'm definitely looking at those mana rocks and will probably add "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sword of the Animist"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Magnifying Glass"}},{"insert":", as well as "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Basalt Monolith"}},{"insert":" ! I had a Cycling sub theme, but I think I'll be cutting it for a few of your other recommended cards! I have the decklist attached to my profile, but I'm not sure how to link it. x33\n\nI have a few more questions though! With "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sunforger"}},{"insert":", should I cut most of my aura removal ("},{"insert":{"card-link":"Pacifism"}},{"insert":" , "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Seal Away"}},{"insert":") for more bolt-y removal? In addition, how does Boros really... win? Just a buncha of tokens and bodies swinging in? Also- I was thinking about "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Prismite"}},{"insert":" to fix my infinate mana from the basalt combo, is that a fine addition? Or is there something more safe / efficient?\n\nApologies for so many questions, I'm still learning aaaa ^=^\n\nEDIT: Found the decklist "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/649651#{EDH}_Foxbox_and_Toys_(Zirda,_the_Dawnwaker)"},"insert":"link"},{"insert":"! \n"}]}
Edited 7/7/2020, 9:30:14 PM
{"ops":[{"insert":"Also, on an entirely different note: I'm so annoyed that Double Masters has reprinted all of the cards I bought for this set ^^:;;;;;\n"}]}
Derbyshire avatarDerbyshire 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"That is always really frustrating. my condolences.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Personally I would never, ever, run less than 35 lands. Even in cheap decks. In fact I usually shoot for somewhere between 37 and 39. If you're worried about getting flooded, try some of the cycling lands. For example "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Desert of the Fervent"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Desert of the True"}},{"insert":", maybe alongside a reduced "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Scavenger Grounds"}},{"insert":"?\n"}]}