New Concept/seeking feedback

Dano2747 avatarDano2747 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi, \n\nI brew, a lot, like multiple decks a day, most days. Generally I am happy with the limited feedback I get from my meta, but with the pandemic that has become much more limited, and for my most recent brew I am very conflicted as to if I should actually paper the deck. I am seeking feedback/opinions/perspective to help me with my decision, as well as any massive deficiencies the deck may have. The deck is a sneaky Karona, the False God theft build that looks very inconspicuous until around turn 4 to 7, when it generally just steals everything on the board. Some games it seems to be a turn to 3 slower, since it is 5 colors, but until the pod has seen what it does it comes off as nonthreatening enough to survive a slow start. The downfall I am seeing is that the deck is going to be moderately pricey to paper, and that games may begin to feel repetitive... not to mention the fact that after playing the deck in the meta for a bit it will likely get ganged up on. I welcome any feedback my fellow brewers may be able to provide me. Thank you and enjoy. \n\nI tried to post the link to the deck, kind of sad that the site doesn't allow usable links to decks posted on it within it's own forums... oh well, if you have the time and inclination it's titled Queen of Thieves and my decks are organized in folders by format, colors and commander. \n"}]}
Edited 7/15/2020, 6:00:30 AM
Derbyshire avatarDerbyshire 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"That deck does look kind of fun, but I am seeing a lot of the same problems you mentioned. After a couple of games with the same playgroup you would no longer be able to sneak under the radar. The only way that I have seen to get a sneaky deck to play well over an extended period of time is to change up your wincons and general strategy in the deck quite frequently, so your playgroup never knows what they need to do to stop your strategy. This really exacerbates the price problem for building the deck in paper. Trying to fly under the radar sounds like a blast, but it is rarely as effective as it sounds.\n\nIf you are really attatched to the deck, I would say build it, but those are some serious concerns. If you really are brewing multiple decks a day I would say just pass on this one, and wait for another deck to grab your fancy.\n\nThis is all just personal opinion, so I would love to see what other people on the forums say, but those are my thoughts on it.\n\nHopefully that was helpful!\n\nP.S. I have never had a problem posting deck links in the forums. "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://www.archidekt.com/decks/664328#Queen_of_Thieves"},"insert":"https://www.archidekt.com/decks/664328#Queen_of_Thieves"},{"insert":"\n\nHere is the list he mentioned for others who wanted to see it.\n"}]}
Edited 7/15/2020, 8:09:13 AM
{"ops":[{"insert":"Thank you for your comments, they very closely echo my own. I feel the deck would be fun, for a minute, and get great reactions from my meta, initially, but then get hated out of every game soon after. It does make me wish that I hadn't taken, now 3 large breaks from the game, selling my collection and forcing a restart each time. I've been playing since the beginning days of Magic, well off and on, and once upon a time had at least one of each card, but that was long before commander. Having one of each card sure would be nice now, then I could put any decklist I brew together for a week or so and try it out in social games at least. Oh well, some deck ideas just aren't meant to be I guess.\n"}]}
Ultimateer avatarUltimateer 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"I think you could build in sub packages of other win cons or just thematic good stuff and vary the play experience enough to make it more fun over repeated plays. However I’ve built decks that meant to accomplish one thing and then dismantled them once I got the stamp on my EDH bingo card.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"EDH bingo lol, gonna have to steal that one. At the rate I brew I'd be going for the blackout!\n"}]}
HamDadd avatarHamDadd 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"So this deck looks sweet, one of my favorite parts of edh is seeing brews around 1 card in the 99 and a deck built to emulate that strategy. Going all in on will breaker seems tough but the concern about your deck being ganged up on after a few games might not actually be as likely as you might think, it may lead to them holding removal for "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Willbreaker"}},{"insert":" but it isnt like you're playing "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Thassa's Oracle"}},{"insert":" into "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Demonic Consultation"}},{"insert":". My point being that if your opponents have a chance to win or get around your win con I have no doubt that they will target other players at the table who may have decks that can pop off with an engine that cant be interrupted with a "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Doom Blade"}},{"insert":". You wont be able to sneak under the radar as much but like other people who have commented have said, a back up win con may be good too, I'd personally suggest "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Horobi, Death's Wail"}},{"insert":" not to steal the board but for a one sided wipe. Little things like this that lean into your strategy will really help you. As for the cost I'd recommend cutting cards that you dont already have that pass the 20-30 dollar range, if you cut 10 cards you cut a third of your cost, if you are worried about being ganged up on fewer tutors might be the way to go. The mana in this deck seems pretty rock solid I'd maybe turn your attention away from high cost duals for optimal fixing but towards budget pain lands so that even if this deck was a bust you don't loose out too much. All and all the deck looks sweet and I'm sure youre gonna love playing with it.\n"}]}
whirlpool avatarwhirlpool 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"I agree that OG duals are expensive, but I think  that its OK to by expensive lands because you can always use them (unlike "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Zedruu the Greathearted"}},{"insert":"  specific cards for example)\n"}]}