Sharing my Mirko deck, upgraded Revenant Recon precon

Burial avatarBurial 55 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"I've been playing the revenant recon precon deck quite a bit since it came out and really loving how it plays. This is my first and only Dimir deck so I'm still learning how to use the mechanics in these colours effectively, I would love to hear your recommendations on some sleeper or underrated cards to try out!\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/6667508/mirko_surveil?sort=alpha&stack=multiple"},"insert":"Here's the deck"},{"insert":"\n\nMy main themes I stuck to are:\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Self mill, "},{"insert":"through surveil, mill and loot"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Clones, "},{"insert":"and stealing opponents creatures "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Renimation, "},{"insert":"and sacrificing opponents creatures"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nMy thoughts and explanation for my choices: \n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Mirko and equipment: "},{"insert":"Mirko himself can get pretty big very quickly, so often becomes a target for removal. I've included a small package to protect him with phasing"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Ramp:"},{"insert":" This is mostly just part of the precon. The glaring weakness here is most of the ramp is tied to artifacts, so any kind of 'destroy all artifacts' or artifact removal will hurt here. Not sure if there is any way to avoid this really"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Surveil, draw and loot:"},{"insert":" I found that too much surveil would put things in the graveyard I had difficulty getting back or making use of. I also found that several small pieces of surveil 1 could get me stuck waiting to draw that card. I combined this with repeatable loot or connive to get more control over what goes into my hand and the graveyard"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Recursion and counter removal: "},{"insert":"I'm still unsure whether I have enough recursion here. Mirko is the main reanimator however Sheoldred, whispering one will reanimate as well as put opponents creatures in their graveyard to help arm a big Rise of the dark realms finisher. Added some finality counter removal as well but might not need this much"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Removal and interaction:"},{"insert":" I only have 13 pieces here and ideally would like some more. Most of these come with the precon"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Clones:"},{"insert":" Probably the most fun and powerful part of this deck. I chose to go with as many enter effects on the clones as possible, but there are some other fun ones like Mocking doppelganger"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nWould love some feedback on where to go from here, as I'm still relatively new to graveyard strategies but really enjoy this deck. The maybeboard is mostly precon leftovers but also some other cards I've found on scryfall that seem interesting. For example, flicker could be fun to trigger enter effects or remove counters, but its usually tied to instants and sorceries so I mostly avoided it\n"}]}
Edited 3/12/2024, 2:03:20 AM
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 55 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Burial!\n\nOn first look, I like the look of the deck! I just wanted to ask a couple questions before giving any further advice though. \n\nWhat would you like to do with the deck? Make it more competitive? Just experiment with cool cards and interactions? Simple optimising?"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"What kind of budget are you working with? Willing to splash some cash to really flush out the deck? Or looking to keep it relatively low/similarly costed to now?"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Would you like to figure out cuts for the cards in your maybeboard? Or is it fine to ignore that when giving feedback?"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nI ask these questions because when a player is investing more (whether time and/or money) into a deck, these are often things that organically come up as part of that process, and having a specific idea about them can be helpful to keeping how you want to play the game in mind while giving good, actionable advice. \nWhen thinking about optimising the deck, reflect on previous games, and what kind of turn you would like to win by; when not winning by that turn, what should the board state look like? \nDid the deck feel weaker than those around you? Or were you evenly matched? Would you "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"like"},{"insert":" to be a little stronger than your peers? or keep a similar level?\n\nOnce you have an idea of these things, it'll help inform real, good advice! Commander is a great format to play how you wish, so getting a sense of what it is you wish for is useful for this sort of discussion.\n"}]}
Burial avatarBurial 55 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"Cheers for the thoughtful response mate\n\nWell for starters definitely not cEDH. My playgroup and I do not run any of the really fast mana like Mana crypt or Jeweled lotus, as well as no infinite combos or mass land destruction. That doesn't mean the decks can't be strong though, scattered through our decks are pieces like token doublers, cyclonic rifts, rhystic study etc"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"For budget I am open to ideas, but not really looking to add many expensive standalone cards all at once. Toxrill is currently around 15-17 euro and honestly about my limit for a single card 😅"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"The maybeboard is mostly precon leftovers or cards I was considering or trying out. For example I was running Eel Umbra, but it wasn't protecting Mirko against being exiled, so I switched it out for phasing instead"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nSo far with my playgroup this deck is not as strong as the others, but they have also been collecting and building for 6+ years. There's also a couple of weird niche includes here like Defabricate, one of our guys has an enchantress deck with a couple of particularly nasty enchantments - but I'm assuming all playgroups have these quirks. Another example is I chose Champions helm over Greaves or Boots, yes they are more mana efficient but the helm gives me a direct reanimation upside with +2+2 on Mirko. For me this is more synergistic and worth the 1cmc more than boots with haste I won't really use\n\nIn general I've only been playing for around 1 year, and only recently got into black and using the graveyard. I'm looking for any advice on more value/synergy, graveyard/reanimator strategies, things Dimir does really well that maybe I'm missing here, or I could have even approached building Mirko completely wrong even though I feel like I justified my choices in my head, like maybe looting isn't the way to go? Whatever you've got I'm open!\n"}]}
Edited 3/12/2024, 7:43:08 AM