new to standard

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi, I'm a long time commander player. first time standard player. I recently brewed up a mono blue mill deck based on the one from MTG goldfish with a few adgustments and some new cards from the upcoming set. Any opinions on it? Am I just going to get eaten by mono red and simic ramp?\n"}]}
Chaos13 avatarChaos13 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Well mono red and simic has for a long time been two top tier combos, mono red plays just so fast and can deal 20 dmg fairly quickly, and blue and green just go so well together allowing for ramp/counter combo to create a very strong offense and defense. In general tho mono color(except red) in standard is kinda weak since in most standard blocks very few color archetype breaks exist, unlike commander where we can pull from many blocks to compile a well rounded deck in any color, standard will often have only a handful . So to answer your question mono blue mill is very viable and fun to play in a casual match, but in competitive play yes you will get eaten alive, often even running the risk of speeding your opponents up filtering lands for them and getting any bad draws out of the way unless you get a lynch pin card they are hoping for\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"thank you for the feedback! I just had hope for the new block and the new crab. \n"}]}
Chaos13 avatarChaos13 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Well I did just check out the deck your talking about, it does look lots of fun to play tho, you could take on a competitive deck for sure but the competitive deck will have a higher win ratio is all\n"}]}