Split Second and Evolving Wilds

BingoBoss avatarBingoBoss 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Can you use "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Evolving Wilds"}},{"insert":" in response to a "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sudden Spoiling"}},{"insert":"?\nThis is a simplified example of what I played through:\nI have my commander ("},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer"}},{"insert":") and two morphs (2/2 with 0 counters on them). I play "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Overwhelming Stampede"}},{"insert":" giving my creatures +3/+3 and trample then use my priority to play sudden spoiling. I have 16 damage ready to swing at my opponent. \nMy opponent has an "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Emeria Shepherd"}},{"insert":" and two other creatures (all with 0 counters). With 10 health and three 0/2 blockers I would win the game. However, they sack a Evolving Wilds in response to Sudden Spoiling getting a plains and putting another blocker onto the battlefield from the graveyard, now being able to survive the hit.\n\nSudden Spoiling’s split second ability says: “As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.”… Does sacking Evolving Wilds count as a mana ability or would this be prohibited by split second?\n"}]}
Derbyshire avatarDerbyshire 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":{"card-link":"Evolving Wilds"}},{"insert":" has a activated ability. It's not a mana ability, as it does not produce mana. The rules for mana abilities are complicated, but the ability must produce mana directly. Sadly, your opponent would have lost\n"}]}
BingoBoss avatarBingoBoss 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Not too sadly ;)\n"}]}
Chaos13 avatarChaos13 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"This is absolutly correct, your opponent played incorrectly. Land and mana are not the same thing "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Evolving Wilds"}},{"insert":" is a good example of this since it is a land yet produces no mana. This is sometimes confused since we often refer to lands quoqially as mana\n"}]}