Color identity and activated abilities

Davallion avatarDavallion 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"I think I understand the rules about color identity and the restrictions that puts on your 99, but Archdekt is flagging a couple of cards in my deck. I have a Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer deck, so of course I'm heavy with artifacts. Two of them are Cranial Plating and Skeleton Shard, both from the original Mirrodin sets, and both of which have alternate cost options for their activated abilities. Skeleton Shard is \"3 , Tap or B, Tap:....\" The card is an artifact, so it is itself colorless, and it has a colorless option for paying the activation cost, I certainly wouldn't think I could ever use Black mana to activate it's ability, but is it just a glitch that the deck builder is flagging it as a color identity issue?\nCranial plating is slightly different, in that it has a colorless equip cost and an alternative cost of \"BB: Attach Cranial Plating to a creature you control.\" This seems a little less clear since the \"Attach...\" ability isn't the same as the \"Equip\" ability. I would never expect to use the \"Attach\" ability, but maybe just having that text on the card means it can't be used at all. That seems pretty restrictive, and since losing that ability significantly nerfs the card I'm not sure it makes sense, but is it technically a problem to include a card that has an activated ability you CAN'T use? Or should it be treated (as I was originally thinking) as if the ability using the mana outside your Color Identity doesn't exist on that card in that deck? we're allowed to play a card with a hybrid mana cost if only one of the colors is part of our Color Identity aren't we?\n"}]}
Edited 9/28/2020, 3:41:34 AM
whirlpool avatarwhirlpool 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"The way color identity works is that you can't have any mana symbols that are outside your commanders colors. So no hybrid mana outside your commanders colors (and no  activated abilities.\n(EDIT: You can't have any off-color mana symbols ANYWHERE ON THE CARD!!) \nHope this helps : )\n"}]}
Edited 9/29/2020, 2:13:12 AM
Davallion avatarDavallion 3 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Well, it certainly indicates that my understanding was not quite as good as I thought. Guess I'd better go back and read the rules more carefully. it seems a bit counterintuitive to me that a colorless card like Crystal Shard, with a colorless activation cost should only be available in a deck playing the alternative activation cost's color. Maybe I'm just not thinking of the other cards where that rule prevents something truly broken from happening.\n"}]}