Breaking Estrid, the Masked

{"ops":[{"insert":"Hey All!\n\nI'm a Johnny/Spike kind of player, and I really like making interesting decks that run smoothly and are entertaining to watch, play against and play with. That being said, I've been stewing on an "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Estrid, the Masked"}},{"insert":" combo-ish deck for a while now, but I can't seem to either cut down to 100 cards or end up with a deck that is interesting. The meta I'm is a casual 4 pod environment that is slowly getting toward the 75% competitive/casual style of decks, and I want to get this deck as high up there as possible. With that being said, here is the "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/54270#Enchantment_Combo"},"insert":"current decklist"},{"insert":". It's WAAY over the 100-card limit, as I can't seem to figure Bant decks out (I am a sans-green ("},{"insert":{"card-link":"Breya, Etherium Shaper"}},{"insert":") player at heart). \n\nCan you help a dude out and join me to finish the deck? The main winning lines that I "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"think "},{"insert":"this deck should use are either:\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"The Chain Veil"}},{"insert":". This card can go infinite with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Estrid, the Masked"}},{"insert":" as long as the enchanted lands tap for at least {5} mana of any colour, then mills the library into the graveyard, ETBs all enchantments (and auras with valid targets). With the "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Ground Seal"}},{"insert":" draw trigger on the stack, activate "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Helix Pinnacle"}},{"insert":" for the win. "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Death by beatsticks: "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sigil of the Empty Throne"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Starfield of Nyx"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Luminarch Ascension"}},{"insert":" can create crazy amounts of on-board power to swing with. This line of play allows the deck to tune itself down for lower-powered pods if the opportunity arises. I'm considering adding "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Concordant Crossroads"}},{"insert":" to the list to make this win con resistant to sorcery-speed board wipes from our opponents. "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nIf there are any lines of play I'm missing (except for "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Approach of the Second Sun"}},{"insert":" - that's in 2 other decks), please let me know! \n"}]}
Edited 3/10/2019, 11:58:14 PM
alex avataralex 5 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"So I spent a while today trying to come up with some ideas, but I'm having a hard time finding combo-ey pieces that are estrid specific vs just generic bant combos. I'll definitely be keeping the idea in mind though in case i stumble across anything :)\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"I'll take a look when I get a chance. Bant isn't my wheel house, and I'm not too familiar with enchantress either. Though some recommendations for cutting. Try to lower the cmc of the deck. So if you have multiple enchant lands that essentially do the same thing cut the highest CMC ones.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Bant isn't my wheelhouse either! \n\nThat's the line I'm trying to determine: how much land enchantments are required for this deck to work? I'm going off the Command Zone's EDH template of 10 ramp spells for this, but I'll cut the high CMC ones, depending on the other cuts and the deck's CMC. \n"}]}
Yosituna avatarYosituna 5 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"I would cut a few of the ramp cards - "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Weirding Wood"}},{"insert":" is expensive for what it is, and while some mana dorks are always good to have, they don't work nearly as well with Estrid as the land enchantments. Also, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Auramancer"}},{"insert":" is okay, but I prefer the more easily repeatable recursion of "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Hanna, Ship's Navigator"}},{"insert":" (bonus: the judge foil has gotten quite cheap lately!).\n\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Greater Auramancy"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sterling Grove"}},{"insert":" can be risky cards, especially as so much of Estrid's utility involves targeting things with her Mask auras, which shroud prevents. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Privileged Position"}},{"insert":", though it's far more expensive mana-wise, might work better on that front, and has the benefit of protecting everything, not just enchantments and/or enchanted creatures.\n\nOne of my favorite game-ending Enchantress two-card combos is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Aura Thief"}},{"insert":" + "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Enchanted Evening"}},{"insert":"; literally everything on the battlefield, including lands, are enchantments and you get it all! (Especially as you already have "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Flash"}},{"insert":" for "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Academy Rector"}},{"insert":" and/or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Protean Hulk"}},{"insert":".)\n\nAlso, as you don't seem to be on a very tight budget, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Serra's Sanctum"}},{"insert":" is a BEAST in this deck, and also makes it way easier to go infinite with mana, and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Replenish"}},{"insert":" is also great as a backup for Estrid's ultimate.\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/53304"},"insert":"Here"},{"insert":"'s my Estrid deck, if it gives you any ideas! It's a little more full-on enchantress, and definitely not quite as toolbox-y/combo-y as this deck, but may have some ideas for you. (And I have definitely gotten some ideas from yours that I may incorporate!)\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Yosituna,\n\nThank you for your detailed response! Your deck and recommendations have definitely given me food for thought. I totally agree about the mana dorks. However, there simply isn't enough decent land enchantments that cost less than Estrid, hence the mana dorks (I want to consistently get Estrid out by turn 3). I may cut a couple of them and some of the utility cards, as I want to fit in the Bant Hulk combo package as a second win con line, if I cannot tutor for the aura theif win: \n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Karmic Guide"}},{"insert":" + "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sidisi's Faithful"}},{"insert":" (Guide returns Hulk, Exploit Hulk bouncing Faithful)"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Gigantoplasm"}},{"insert":" + "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Saffi Eriksdotter"}},{"insert":" (Gigantoplasm copies Guide returning Hulk, X=0 to kill Gigantoplasm , Saffi returns Gigantoplasm copying Hulk, X=0 to kill Gigantoplasm)"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Reveillark"}},{"insert":" + "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Hapless Researcher"}},{"insert":" (Reveillark returns Gigantoplasm + Saffi, Gigantoplasm copies Hulk, X=0 to kill Gigantoplasm)"},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Laboratory Maniac"}},{"insert":" "},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nThanks for the "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Hanna, Ship's Navigator"}},{"insert":" recommendation! The "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sterling Grove"}},{"insert":" is simply there for early-game protection , then tutoring for any of the enchantment-type removal/control in the deck. With your "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Aura Thief"}},{"insert":" combo, it can tutor up the "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Enchanted Evening"}},{"insert":", while "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Worldly Tutor"}},{"insert":" tutors up the creature, making that win con much more consistent. I moved "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Greater Auramancy"}},{"insert":" to the maybeboard for that same reason. I'll consider "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Privileged Position"}},{"insert":", but for CMC's sake, I might be better off running a tighter counterspell package (or at least "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Arcane Denial"}},{"insert":"/"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Hindering Light"}},{"insert":"). \n\nI added "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Serra's Sanctum"}},{"insert":" to the deck, but I'm very hesitant about purchasing the card, as the Australian shops often don't have the card, and the conversion rate to EU/Pound/USD is never in our favour :( Same logic applies to "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Replenish"}},{"insert":". \n"}]}
Driemer84 avatarDriemer84 5 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"Sorry I'm a little late to the party, but I was doing some searching and came across this post.\n\nI'm not sure how good each of these pieces are on their own, but "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Decree of Silence"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Solemnity"}},{"insert":" can completely lock your opponents out of the game. Since you already run "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Flash"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Academy Rector"}},{"insert":" could join the party to grab the missing combo piece at instant speed.\n\nI ended up cutting "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Starfield of Nyx"}},{"insert":", because while it's upkeep trigger is powerful, I hated opening myself up to boardwipes that would normally not effect my permanents. Also, most enchantments in your list are 1-3 drops with a few 4 and 5 drops in there so you aren't really going to have a threatening army of enchantments.\n\nMy enchantress list is Abzan, but take a look if you want. I primarily end the game with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Living Plane"}},{"insert":" + "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Doomwake Giant"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite"}},{"insert":", or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Linvala, Keeper of Silence"}},{"insert":". My back up plans are beat down with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Luminarch Ascension"}},{"insert":", or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Squirrel Nest"}},{"insert":" + "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Earthcraft"}},{"insert":" combo.\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/53174#Doom_Plane_Enchantress"},"insert":"https://archidekt.com/decks/53174#Doom_Plane_Enchantress"},{"insert":"\n\n\n"}]}
Edited 4/22/2019, 2:52:29 PM