Edit (now "Import") menu rework - Feedback requested!

Jeremy avatarJeremy 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hello!\n\nYou may have been brought to this page via a link on the Import menu (previously called \"Edit\") on a deck page. In the past, this menu has been the cause of numerous saving bugs due to the editable text field. Accordingly, we have a three-step plan to fix it without (hopefully) significantly interrupting users' workflows.\n\n[Done] Add the card add/search field from the old Edit menu to the deck page. We recognized that some users enjoyed this midway point between Quick Add and the Search menu, so we're maintaining its functionality in, theoretically, a better place. This input, now called \"Detailed Add\" can be accessed via a dropdown next to Quick Add or by pressing Ctrl+;. "},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"[Done] Change the old Edit menu to Import (denoting its intended function), moving it's button on desktop to the lower grouping on the toolbar."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Remove the ability to "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"edit"},{"insert":" cards on the new Import menu. We will maintain the ability to "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"add"},{"insert":" cards to your deck using this menu via pasting in text and a mirror of the Detailed Add input. "},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nSomething we're considering adding as well is a third option besides Quick Add and Detailed Add that will allow you to add cards using the same syntax as is present on the now Import menu (i.e. 1x Sol Ring (clb) [Ramp]). For users familiar with that formatting (and quick on the keyboard!), it could serve as an exceptionally fast way to add cards to your deck in the exact form you want. Is this of interest to anyone?\n\nRegardless, the important question: "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Will removing the ability to edit cards from the text field on the Import menu (old Edit) interrupt your workflow?"},{"insert":" If so, please share your thoughts below. We're implementing this change in multiple steps in order to give users the opportunity to share feedback so adjustments can be made as necessary. \n\nThank you for your time!\n\n"}]}
decynicalrevolt avatardecynicalrevolt 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I'm only fine with removing the edit option if it is A) still copiable. Or B) we get a wider variety of export options to clipboard.\n\nI often use archidekt on mobile, and when I need to do more non-violent analysis, such as using MTGOnCurve(which would, as an aside, be a nice data point to have in stats) i need a super basic N CARDNAME*** copied to my clipboard *and not a text file*. Currently, only the edit screen fulfills that need.\n\nEdit: ***Apparently this was already changed. I guess I'm really asking for a simple N CARDNAME clipboard export as opposed to a text file or arena style export.\n"}]}
Edited 8/22/2022, 8:25:51 PM
AFGIII avatarAFGIII 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I agree with this completely. I mostly used it to paste in an already made list. I don't see a reason to remove it otherwise. \n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"That should be doable. Thank you for the feedback!\n"}]}
Medjai avatarMedjai 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I use it to bulk-change sets of cards. For example, I might copy someone's version of a precon but it's not using the sets the precon provides. So I go through and add \"(C21)\" for the set of each of the relevant cards, for example. It's not much of a concern for my workflow if this feature is removed, I don't need to do it often. Just thought I'd voice how I use the feature in case others use it in the same way. \n\n...I don't do this too often, though I'm kind of new to Archidekt. :P\n"}]}
Medjai avatarMedjai 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Oh, I just realized that I also use it to add specific lands (the collector number). For some reason I cant figure out how to add more than 2 different forests from the same set, for example. But from the feature in question I can say \"2 Forest (m21) 272 | 2 Forest (m21) 273 | 2 Forest (m21) 274\" for example, and have all three collector numbers added and their quantities. Super weird thing for me to want to do, I know. Not the end of the world if I can no longer do that, though.\n"}]}
ichibancho avatarichibancho 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I use it for the same thing. The menu process for changing sets is the absolute worst, especially for lands.\nI would be fine losing edit if I could select some set options in user settings.\nSuch as: default lands set.\n\tDefault to original printing\n\tModern border or original border if available\n\tWhite border version if available\n \tFull art if available\n\tDEFAULT TO VERSIONS ALREADY IN MY COLLECTION\netc.\n"}]}
EruEstel avatarEruEstel 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hey Jeremy,\nAs always good work for you and the team. Just to make sure that I'm understanding this last change, if we know the syntax and ability load (ie 1x Sol Ring (clb) ### [RAMP]), this will continue to work as expected correct? With adding to my collection, I've been importing a .csv file from my phones TCG scans, lining up the text to match the syntex to a \"custom\" deck, saving it and then adding the listed cards to my collection. If I don't have this functionality, I'll be one sad panda for a way to do quick adds vs having to type out each card name and manually select type and qty from there after the scanning work.\n\nSide note: I know that I've asked about adding the ability to scan and I understand your reasoning given that other apps do well for most of that. With this, I'd like to plant a seed to see if we developer users can tie into our accounts through an API. I have a few older phones that I can program to do some scanning and add it into my account automatically with access to the API. I'm wanting to tie it into a sorting bot to help me in the long run.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Yes, "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"adding"},{"insert":" cards via typing/pasting/importing text will be unchanged. It's just once the card is in your deck, the proposed update will prevent you from manually "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"editing"},{"insert":" its text line. Editing would need to be done on the deck page itself. If I'm understanding you correctly, this shouldn't interrupt your workflow.\n\nRegarding scanning, your suggestion is noted. We're having very preliminary internal discussions about how that workflow can be improved-- no guarantees, but it's on our radar!\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Really hope that this gets revised, although I'm more curious as to what led to this decision. Editing decks, a tool I admittedly don't use for EVERY deck I build, still serves it's purpose. Unless there is legitimate benefit to removing this feature, it feels like you're throwing out a hammer because it never gets used, and it's going to really suck when you have to nail something in. \n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"To be clear, our motivation isn't taking away users' toys (or tools, if we're keeping with the metaphor). Having a field in which cards can be free-form modified before saving has traditionally been prone to unexpected behavior that can frustrate users and/or consume a great deal of the team's time to investigate. If it were something that could simply be fixed structurally, we would do so. The issue is that it's problematic by its very nature.\n\nLeaving it in as is certainly on the table, but we'd "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"much"},{"insert":" prefer to learn what folks are using it for and develop better tools to accomplish those aims. \n"}]}
anonymous.one avataranonymous.one 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I regularly use this feature to batch update my lists - the text interface is much faster and the set and foiling of cards can be specified quickly and efficiently. This would be far slower if individual cards need to be selected and substituted with different versions and foiling.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Are you familiar with multi-select? Ctrl-clicking a card on the deck page (or long pressing on mobile) will allow you to bulk edit cards quite quickly. Admittedly, in your use case, this only helps with foiling. \n\nCan you help me understand changing set via the text interface? Are you changing a number of cards to the same set and just pasting it in after each entry, or do you go through and just type out individual set names? \n"}]}
LotharMoH avatarLotharMoH 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I edit within the deck because I have a single decklist as my template. Its got my categories and my tab color preferences set to it. When I am brewing a new deck i woll copy my template, rename it and then paste in the draft decklist. \n\nAs others have said, I find editing the text decklist a little smoother when making multiple adds/deletes. \n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Pasting in the draft decklist will still be possible-- "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"adding"},{"insert":" cards via typing/pasting/importing will be unchanged.\n\nAs far as edits are concerned, what sorts are you making in that text field? Most "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"should"},{"insert":" be easier to do with multi-select (ctrl-click a card on the deck page, long press on mobile) with the exception of edition changes. Is there anything else that multi-select doesn't accomplish for you? \n"}]}
Gravelgill avatarGravelgill 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"There have been many times for me where the standard Archidekt interface bugs out or otherwise does not function properly that I have only been able to solve via editing this way. The removal of this feature would remove a useful tool from the site.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"I don't doubt you, but that's the exact opposite of what seems to be the typical experience! Can you recall any specific bugs or unexpected behavior from areas outside of the old Edit menu (now Import) that we can fix? \n"}]}
DrowningInFire avatarDrowningInFire 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Bring Edit back. App keeps getting worse. Thank you. \n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"All of the Edit menu's functions are currently still available on the Import menu. There's nothing to bring \"back\" at this point because it's all still there. \n\nThe purpose of this thread is to gather feedback from users on how they use that menu and what can be done to insure their workflow isn't interrupted by any future changes. \"App keeps getting worse\" doesn't provide us with any actionable information.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"I definitely will miss the functionality of pasting and editing cards in the old way. I use a \"scratch\" decklist for working on various projects and change the list wholesale from week to week. I guess I'll just create a brand new deck each week and delete it when I'm done.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"I really like the feature for ease of access. For example, being able to just copy an established landbase for the same commander I want to use, but with a different twist, was very easy. So yes, I would say removing it would be problematic.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Well keep in mind that this is only referring to the edit portion of that menu. You'd still be able to import (aka add) cards in the same way. \n\nOne thing this change would entail is vastly improving the exporting options for a deck. So for instance, allowing you to export just a single category (in this case lands) in the format that would allow you to just copy in the land base of a new deck rather than having to edit all of the old cards out. \n\nI'd think that'd be easier, but I could be totally off base. \n"}]}
Edidimyu avatarEdidimyu 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"The EDIT button is a nice touch to change cards from the sideboard to the main quickly by simply erasing the [Sideboard], which can be very helpful while deckbuilding and making wild changes, and saves a good hundred of clicks that way\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Are you aware of our "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/news/2981306/1"},"insert":"multi edit/ multi drag and drop"},{"insert":" functionality? If you are aware of this feature and still prefer to move multiple cards to side / maybeboards via text, could you explain why? I feel as though we've solved that use case with a faster, less error prone solution already. \n\nIf you still prefer editing via text that's fine, we're mostly just trying to understand the \"why\" of it.\n"}]}
Legendxp avatarLegendxp 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I was originally worried that you would no longer be able to bulk add cards with this change, but that doesn't seem to be the case for this new import feature. Now that I now that's the case, I don't particularly mind the new change if it helps the site run better (especially since you can still ctrl+click and multi-edit cards). \n\nI suspect people might panic if they had the same thought I did; or aren't aware that you can select alot of cards to change at once.\n"}]}
Edited 8/24/2022, 12:03:53 PM
Arvona avatarArvona 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"There might be an easier solution, and please direct me to it if possible. But I use the edit screen for splitting mainboard and sideboard.\nIf I want one copy of a card in mainboard and one copy in sideboard, the only way I've been able to split it up is through the EDIT menu. Will that still be possible? and is there an easier way to do it through the search bar? Wonderful work from the team, keep it up!!\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"There are a few ways to do that, but the easiest is to open the card details for any card in your deck, click the sideboard button, then add new copy to sideboard (same steps for maybeboard also exist).\n\n"},{"insert":{"image":"https://i.imgur.com/26ziT3i.png"}},{"insert":"\n"}]}
JZ08 avatarJZ08 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Perfect example for why it should stay. I uploaded a Jeskai deck from another user to modify and make my own, and now Im going to use the Import feature to quickly remove the original mana base and add my own Jeskai Mana base. \n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"As stated in the OP, the ability to bulk "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"add "},{"insert":"cards is never going to be removed. In this use case, the only difference would be that the mana base would need to be removed right from the deck page. Which I have to believe is faster using multi-select than looking for and deleting specific card lines from the old Edit menu anyway. Am I missing something in that workflow?\n"}]}
Zelse47 avatarZelse47 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I use the edit feature primarily as a means to address a bug I've encountered for months now. \n\nOccasionally when removing many cards in one session (such as trimming a deck from 140 to 100 cards), then clicking save, some of the edits will not take. That is, when loading the deck again, some of the changes will not have saved (for example, the deck will show up as 105 cards rather than 100 and then I'll have to look for the ones I meant to remove again). As a workaround, when I have finished the deck, I will click on Edit, then copy the entire list. After reloading the deck, if there are any changes that did not save, I will simply open the Edit window, select all, paste the list in, and it will be exactly how I had it before. \n\nIf you are aware of a way to address this particular bug have a way to use use the method I described above without the Edit window, that changing it up should be fine. Otherwise I'd like to keep a similar function available to handle the bug.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"I would strongly recommend turning on Auto Save from you account settings page. It will become the default for users very soon, but is a toggleable option in the meantime. Auto Save should 100% prevent bugs like this from occurring.\n\nThat said, the proposed changes wouldn't prevent you from using this fix anyway. We'll have a way of easily copying your deck in its current state to clipboard and a place to paste in cards. The only difference would be the ability to edit cards (i.e. change edition, foiling, etc.) from that menu. \n\nBut yeah, Auto Saving! It's great. \n"}]}