Edit (now "Import") menu rework - Feedback requested!

Jeremy avatarJeremy 21 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hello!\n\nYou may have been brought to this page via a link on the Import menu (previously called \"Edit\") on a deck page. In the past, this menu has been the cause of numerous saving bugs due to the editable text field. Accordingly, we have a three-step plan to fix it without (hopefully) significantly interrupting users' workflows.\n\n[Done] Add the card add/search field from the old Edit menu to the deck page. We recognized that some users enjoyed this midway point between Quick Add and the Search menu, so we're maintaining its functionality in, theoretically, a better place. This input, now called \"Detailed Add\" can be accessed via a dropdown next to Quick Add or by pressing Ctrl+;. "},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"[Done] Change the old Edit menu to Import (denoting its intended function), moving it's button on desktop to the lower grouping on the toolbar."},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Remove the ability to "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"edit"},{"insert":" cards on the new Import menu. We will maintain the ability to "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"add"},{"insert":" cards to your deck using this menu via pasting in text and a mirror of the Detailed Add input. "},{"attributes":{"list":"ordered"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nSomething we're considering adding as well is a third option besides Quick Add and Detailed Add that will allow you to add cards using the same syntax as is present on the now Import menu (i.e. 1x Sol Ring (clb) [Ramp]). For users familiar with that formatting (and quick on the keyboard!), it could serve as an exceptionally fast way to add cards to your deck in the exact form you want. Is this of interest to anyone?\n\nRegardless, the important question: "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Will removing the ability to edit cards from the text field on the Import menu (old Edit) interrupt your workflow?"},{"insert":" If so, please share your thoughts below. We're implementing this change in multiple steps in order to give users the opportunity to share feedback so adjustments can be made as necessary. \n\nThank you for your time!\n\n"}]}
Vegerot avatarVegerot 21 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"If you are going to keep the ability to add cards, make sure you allow the ability to mass add cards. I use archidekt to play a sealed league with some friends where we start out by opening 4 packs, build a deck, play, then open 2 packs of the next expansion, build, play, repeat. So I need the ability to mass import 30 cards easily and I use the import screen to just paste the output of the packs I open.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Yup, that functionality will definitely be maintained no matter what.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"The only way I have found to add two of the same card, with one being foil and one regular, is through the import menu. Is there another way to accomplish this?\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"If you find the card using the Search menu, click the three vertical dot button on it. One of the options is \"Add as New Card\". Doing so will add a separate entry of the card to your deck that you can then change however you want (such as foiling). Hope this helps!\n"}]}
madelson avatarmadelson 21 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I appreciate the highly visible request for feedback and thanks for building Archidekt; it's a great tool!\n\nLosing the ability to edit via text will hinder my flow. I use the Import (previously \"Edit\") textbox for a few things:\nCopying the decklist in the full detail format (with set, collector number, etc) to https://madelson.github.io/TabletopSimulatorMTGDeckImporter/ to import into Tabletop Simulator"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Quickly cleaning up the set/art choices and removing foils/non-english versions. I'm usually browsing cards on Scryfall so I can quickly copy it over."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Quickly editing basic land counts"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Typing or copy-pasting in cards I use across decks (mostly lands)"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\"Refactoring\" or adding new categories quickly"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nAlso, I tried out the new \"quick add\" function but it doesn't let you choose the set which I find very helpful when adding cards via Edit/Import. Also seems a bit laggier. Sometimes Archidekt defaults to secret lairs, foils, or non-English printings which I want to change. Sometimes I'm just choosing my favorite look or the version I own in paper.\n"}]}
Edited 8/27/2022, 2:21:27 PM
{"ops":[{"insert":"Thank you for the feedback! I'll respond to each of your bullets:\n\nBeing able to copy the fully detailed decklist is a functionality that we'll maintain no matter what. We're planning on adding a copy to clipboard function to the Export page that will be fully customizable. "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Noted. Using us in tandem with Scryfall is not necessarily a workflow we plan to design specifically for (ideally, we'd love to make ourselves a one-stop shop), it's good to know about this use case."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"You can open the card details page for any land in your deck and type in the quantity you want as well. But if you're already on the Edit/Import menu, I can see how that'd be a bit faster. "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"You'll still be able to input cards by text on the Import page, so that workflow shouldn't be broken. It's only editing within the textbox that's in question here. "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Are you familiar with multiselect? If you're on desktop, you can ctrl-click to select multiple cards at once (long press on mobile). I've found this to be the fastest way to get categories set up."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nRegarding your comment about Quick Add not allowing you to select edition, please check the dropdown arrow next to Quick Add and change it to Detailed Add (or press ctrl-; to bring up the modal). Detailed Add should be identical in function to the card input on the Edit/Import menu. Let me know if that gives you any issues!\n\nAs far as default versions are concerned, if you can provide any examples of cards that are yielding Secret Lairs, foils, or non-English prints, please let us know! We should have it setup so that the most recent \"normal\" printing of a card is chosen if no edition is specified. It's possible this isn't setup correctly on the Edit/Import menu though, so any specific cases we can investigate would be appreciated.\n\nThat all said, we're currently exploring the possibility of a new deck view that would provide an editable text space similar to the Edit menu. If that turns out the way we envision, none of your workflow should be interrupted. Stay tuned! \n"}]}
VentMajor avatarVentMajor 21 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I believe this will mess with the workflow as I type all my cards into a worksheet to easily track decks and the price of the decks I build. The downside to this is that I am manually typing all of the card names. Obviously, this opens my lists up to typos which need to be fixed. Will we still be able to make spelling changes for the cards in the import screen? \n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"We'll still provide a notification of some kind that a particular card name isn't recognized. You'd then be able to re-add it with the proper spelling via the same input field, but there wouldn't be an editable line for you to fix. We appreciate you sharing your use case for us to consider while developing this! \n"}]}
Cliffjam avatarCliffjam 21 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Jeremy, \n\nYou and I spoke in the past regarding the ability to import a full set into a decklist. Currently, I use the syntax search “e:dmu” and manually + each card, or I import/edit a text-based list with tags like “forest (dmu) 275”. Once I’ve built a set list, I adjust it according to what I own when opening packs before adding to collection. I also use code for color tags and custom categories, learning them from the import/edit function. \n\nwill you still have some form of direct editing function?\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi there! I believe I recall this discussion. I'm glad you've found a workflow that works for you!\n\nIf we were to implement our initial plan, you wouldn't have a way to edit a text-based list. That said, feedback in this thread has demonstrated that it's essential to some users, so we're working on an alternative that should, if anything, be even better for what you're aiming to accomplish. Stay tuned! \n"}]}
cmull avatarcmull 21 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Jeremy! I just used the feature to quickly clear out my deck's contents so I could start fresh and make the state of the deck accurate. Is there another way to quickly clear out a deck without creating an entirely new one?\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"My suggestion would be to use multi-select! The fastest way to select your whole deck is to set your \"Group by\" option on the deck page to \"Full Deck\", click the three dot menu next to the full deck category, and click \"Select All\". From the multi-select menu that pops up, you can choose to \"Delete All\". Please let me know if that gives you any trouble!\n"}]}
Oblivions_Guide avatarOblivions_Guide 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I use the edit option more for mass removing everything if I want to start over (which happens a lot for me) The change makes sense, but I hope some sort of mass delete option will be available \n"}]}
Jeremy avatarJeremy 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"If you're on desktop, you can select your entire deck with Ctrl+A then delete!\n"}]}
DeltaRuby03 avatarDeltaRuby03 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I really like it to copy and paste lists without having to download it on PC, and it also makes it easier to copy and paste duplicate land bases and stuff from my other decks\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"From the deck page, you can hit Ctrl+A to select the whole deck, then either Ctrl+C (to copy just the names of the cards) or Ctrl+Shift+C (to copy the names of the cards plus Archidekt syntax for categories and the like). Hope this helps!\n"}]}
Endofthe_Q avatarEndofthe_Q 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Removing the ability to "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"edit"},{"insert":" cards on the new Import menu, and only allowing me to "},{"attributes":{"underline":true,"bold":true},"insert":"add"},{"insert":", would destroy my workflow. \n\nI like that at the moment I get a masterlist in text format that is easy to read. I am able to entirely change the deck in one copy paste, delete whole sections of the deck, and/or just add a block of cards. I would be really sad if I were limited to just the last option, as this tool was my primary way of making large changes in archidekt, and why I use it. \n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Noted, thank you for the feedback!\n\nFor what it's worth, we've added some improved multiselect functionality in recent weeks that should help with deleting cards en masse: Ctrl clicking a category name will select all of its cards and Ctrl+A will select everything in the deck. You can then modify (or delete, in this case) the selected cards via the multiselect modal. \n\nThat said, I understand preferring having the deck list in plain text. We're discussing potential alternatives to our original plan. \n"}]}
Ragnor-MTG avatarRagnor-MTG 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi,\nI use the import text field to bulk edit (copy and paste into editor, edit, copy and paste back into archidekt) and I would be disappointed if it disappeared. \n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Just to clarify, are you modifying cards somewhere outside of Archidekt before pasting it back in? \n"}]}
inzendium avatarinzendium 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Would this also remove the ability to edit which groups cards are in within decklists while on the Import menu? I use the custom groups often in my lists and sometimes remove all cards from a group, making it vanish from the main deck UI, before realizing I want to keep using that group. To add other cards to a group with the same name, I have to change it on the Import screen to make it visible again (unless there's another route I just don't know about).\n\nThanks for all the work and improvements to the site. Archidekt has been my go-to for some time now.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"You can set cards to an empty category by either double clicking a card or clicking the arrow along the right side of the card while in your deck. On the card modal that pops up, you can select custom categories from a dropdown, which will include any categories that you made previously but are now empty. Below is a picture of what the modal looks like.\n\n"},{"insert":{"image":"https://i.imgur.com/tXxUACA.png"}},{"insert":"\n\nThe same can be accomplished for multiple cards simultaneously by using multiselect (Ctrl click on desktop, long press on mobile). \n\nHope this helps, and thank you for the kind words! \n"}]}
handsomegorilla avatarhandsomegorilla 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Man, i use the edit function 90% of the time. Though it can be finicky, I like being able to make small text edits to change the card set, collector number, and edit custom fields. I would be really sad if this was no longer an option on archidekt. \n\nI noticed I couldn't find it on browser but it pops up as an option when I create a new deck. Is it already gone? 😢\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Nope! The old Edit menu's entire functionality is currently under the new Import menu-- a more accurate designation based on its intended function.\n\nRegardless, I appreciate the feedback. We're going to do our very best to avoid taking away site functions that are used, so it's helpful to know where things would be missed. \n"}]}
theplotthinnens avatartheplotthinnens 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"The edit menu has mostly been useful for me for when I have a list of cards to import, or when dealing with category tags. I often start with a 'longlist' deck for a given commander, where I've compiled and categorized lists of cards that could fit in a given build. It's often easier to paste the relevant coded text from the longlist to the draft 100 deck, rather than go through the categorization again - especially since there's a fair amount of lag when the pool gets large enough. An option to add certain cards to other decks with the existing category tags might be a useful workaround.\n"}]}
DannyDoomno1 avatarDannyDoomno1 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi! The main thing that I would use this function for would be to mass change the edition for many cards, recently I wanted to make a list of Domniaria cards to buy and wanted to change a bunch of them to the Dominaria edition or the \"extras\" versions. \n\nDoing this through normal edit is slow and annoying.\n"}]}
Fibrys avatarFibrys 20 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I use the import menu mostly to quickly remove all cards from the deck if I want to start over or override the previous attempt with a new list (or to restore the backup list)\n"}]}
Edited 9/10/2022, 10:17:20 AM